Chlorine Dilution test questions

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
K.. so 1.8ml pool to 7.2ml non-chlorinated... that's a 4-1 ratio.. so why couldnt it be ANY 4-1 ratio (4ml-1ml)?

Also, could regular bottled drinking water be used instead of distilled??

Thanks!

It's easier to mix a larger quantity that works out easier mathematically in another container, then pour what you need into the sample tube. Say..1/4 cup to 1 cup. You don't want tap water because it has chlorine or chloramines in it and it will mess up the test. Bottled drinking water would work for FC and CYA, but not for TA, pH, or CH.

Yes.. FAS-DPD probably won't get here til Tues/Wed because of the holiday. So, we've been banging our head against a brick wall for the last week trying to kill off an algae bloom. I can't get my dilution test to register properly.. at least I don't think it is. Even with the proper diluted ratio (but was using Ice Mountain bottled water - out of distilled), and it still comes up bright pink/red on the top of the FC OTO test box dealy.

Algae still settles on our steps each day & evening... the 8' hopper is still too cloudy/murky to see the drains...

Latest test results from this AM:
FC: 20/25+?
pH: 7.5
TA: 80
CYA: 45

My husband is ready to drain down to the jets & refill - pretty sure that isn't the answer, but I'm losing ground on an argument since we've had zero improvement in at least 2-3 days now. Shallow end looks almost swimmable.. the deep end just looks disgusting.

:rant: It's so very frustrating.. now, TWO of our neighbors have now opened their pools since we started this, and one of them has a pool with 10,000 more than we do. And their water is gorgeous, sparkly, and it looks delightfully inviting.

I'm about ready to let my husband start the draining...

No improvement at all? It hasn't gone from green to greyish at least? The chlorine demand hasn't decreased? You know, first day it used up 6 gallons keeping it at 20, next day, 4.5, next day, 4....like that?

If it's just murky, try pointing one of the return jets down into the deep end to stir things up. Don't forget to brush.

I read your other thread - draining isn't gonna necessarily help. I guarantee it's because you don't have as much circulation down there. Why don't you try one of two things. Close the skimmers if you can and just pull from main drain. Or, place a portable submersible pump into the deep end to help circulate (borrow, buy or rent if you don't have one.) they are less than $100 and I use mine for just this purpose. I've cleared pools with it in just a day, all the algae dies and everything settles to the bottom so you can see where to vac and what you've missed. It works great.

We had marked improvement the first few days. The last 2-3 days have been stale. There may have been some improvement in the shallow end, but the deep end doesn't appear to have progressed any further.

There are 2 main drains.. both are open. Skimmers are on 1/2 power. I brush vigorously as deep as I can. I've vacuumed the entire pool at least once a day.. sometimes twice. We drop our Pool Cleaner in & let him roam around down in the hopper as well. We haven't yet repointed the returns - it was just suggested to me last night. I'll have him do that while he's out there.

The biggest trouble with my FC numbers is, I just can't get an accurate reading. I only have the DPD test kit, so if I've read correctly, I can only get diluted test results up to 20, correct? My diluted results match the OTO FC test result for 5.

When I took a water sample in to a store yesterday (husband "made me". lol), he claimed our FC was only 5 & recommended we add 8-10 gals of 10% shock. At my wits end, I did this. We added 8 gals. So, an additional 8 gals added yesterday around Noon, 3 brushings, 1 hand vac, pump on 24/7 with main drains pulling full & skimmers on 1/2 power.... and no visible improvement from yesterday morning.

What
The
HECK?????

Dumping numerous gallons at once in a vinyl pool? Such bad advice.

Close off the skimmers.

With dilution method you are only getting a result of 5?

Ok. The key is testing and adding to reach and hold shock level, up to hourly. So say you add 3.5 gallons of 12.5% (enough to reach 16 which is your shock level) 30-45 minutes later you test again. If you are NOT at 16, you take that current result and punch into pool calculator and recalculate. Now that's about 2.5 jugs. Test again in 30-45 min. Repeat this process till you are holding 16. If you are only getting to 5, it means whatever is down there is consuming the chlorine as you add it and you simply haven't been adding enough. Now that is not the same as dumping in 8-10 gallons all at once. People can take advice like that and do real damage, like bleach out the liner. Always, always always use accurate testing and apply the knowledge with those results to take action. Advice like that boils my blood!

No, no.. I don't think I'm describing my results correctly. I mix the diluted test ratio.. do my 5 drops of this.. 5 drops of that.. swirl & then pour into the OTO color matched thingy. Its the same color as the top one (like the 5). So I multiply that by 4, right?? I'm assuming it's 20. When the pool store guy said it was only 5, I came home & did a test strip test.. it immediately jumped to the 10 mark. So either way, without the FAS-DPD test yet, I'm maxing out on my results. in my heart of hearts, I dont believe the pool guy.. I was extremely hesitant to add the 8 gallons yesterday, but did it out of not knowing what else to do. I'm going to see about posting some photos.. What is the easiest photo site to use.. Tumblr?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.