Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC number question SWGn

1. Back To Top    #1

FC number question SWGn

I had checked the numbers yesterday and the FC was 3 and I did see I thought a little algae on a step and it wiped off real easy by hand Friday night so I raised the Pentair swg to 100% all day yesterday and checked the numbers this morning, so the swg ran 8 hours at 100%.

this morning numbers
    13000 gallons hydrazzo
    84 degrees
    PH 7.8
    FC 3.5 only?
    TA 80
    CH 320
    CYA 70
    Borate about 35
    salt 3200

It is spotless and the cell does show the proper lights on for generating chlorine, its only 3 months old. shouldn't it blast out more then 3.5 in 8 to 10 hours of running full blast? Shock or leave it alone, I do have some local PS liquid left over, dump 5 gallons in and lower the swg? I'm lost now.

Thanks and from one vet to the others, Happy Memorial day and if no one tells you THANK YOU.

R
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,
    TF-100 Test Kit, Seminole, West Central Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC number question SWGn

Probably time for the shock process. Most likely you have algae, more than you can see. To be sure, about 2 hours before dark, I'd elevate the FC with bleach to the shock level (28 for CYA=70) and get ready to do the OCLT. Turn off the SWG when you add the liquid. Tomorrow morning you will know for sure whether you need to continue the shock process.

SWG's are good for MAINTAINING FC, not so good for raising it significantly.

Thanks for your service!!!
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

First, Happy Memorial Day and thank you very much for serving

I see you have a TF-100 in you sig, can you do the FAS-DPD test and do the CC test to see if you have CC's? I agree that you should shut off the SWG and start the shock process, but if there are CC's, that would really confirm it.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

4. Back To Top    #4

roth79:

First off, thank you for your service to our country

If what you saw on the step was truly algae, then you would need to go through the Shock Process. Although that may have been the only currently visible sign of algae, you could be on the verge of a full-blown algae bloom which could happen very quickly.

One test result that is missing from your post is Combined Chloramines (CC). This is one of the parameters that determines whether you need to shock.

Your SWG is not designed to crank out the amount of FC needed for proper shocking. You will need to add supplemental liquid bleach or liquid chlorine and test several times a day to keep FC within the target range for shocking (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link in my sig).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all the CC showed 0....
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,

6. Back To Top    #6

With the oversized Pentair IC 40 on a 13000 gallon pool I would think I should be able to crank up the fc running it at 8 hours a 100%, I know not shocking but ????

7. Back To Top    #7

Nope, it just isn't designed to produce it fast enough and quite frankly if you've got something in there consuming the chlorine, it could be consuming it as fast as the SWG can produce it. Best way to tell is turn the SWG off and do an overnight test. A loss greater than 1ppm and you need to shock (with liquid chlorine) until the FC holds overnight (with the SWG off).
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Heres my problem, I have to travel this week but my wife is here and I haven't showed her the testing yet, can I just add Liquid all week daily till I get back Saturday and just keep it high shock level numbers all week with the swg off? The calculator shows 28 so I can add 5 gallons tonight and have her adding a bunch daily till I get back?

Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

That isn't as good as actually shocking, since that might be too little or too much chlorine, but the odds are very good that it will at least keep things from getting worse and it might well clean up the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Or add enough to get to shock level, confirm shock level, then run the swg daily to keep the level consistent till you get back. Hopefully there won't be much of a drop with just the swg maintaining the FC shock level.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com