Motor wire help

May 13, 2013
How should I wire this motor? It is 2 speed OAsmith with timer 3/4 hp. I understand the ground wire is connected to green screw. How do I connect remaining two wires?

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 78
220V motor ? 110V ? When you say "with timer" is it powered by a separate timer like most or is there an actual built in timer ?? There is usually a wiring schematic either on the motor data plate or sometimes on the back of the cover plate , it either a picture would help a bunch as well....

Did that work? That diagram looks to be for an external speed switch and if your pump has the timer and speed selection built-in, then the wiring may be different (like a regular 1-speed likely).

There has to be a diagram on the large white plate on the side of the motor.

I think you are right. The diagram shows only line connection at L1 and L2 and ground at green. It is a 2Green AO Smith motor with internal timer built in. Diagram does not show any connection at 4. I have not tried to connect it yet because I just discovered that my existing motor is 115 and I was dead sure it is 230V. I am in the process of learning how to wire my panel for 230V and I was confused because youtube instructional was showing 2 hot wires connected to 20 amp breaker and a ground. So it was only 3 wires instead of 4 wire connection suggested by wiring for 2 speed motors without built in timer. Thanks jblizzle for the info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.