Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow jackets around my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow jackets around my pool

After all the issues opening, my pool is now up and running great with the Intex SWG and a little BBB chemistry thrown in now and again. Water is balanced and chlorine maintains well. Kids have been swimming in it for about three weeks now but today is the first time I got in and noticed a bunch of yellow jackets flying around the pool. I imagine I must have a nest somewhere nearby. Anyone know how to find out where and what to do to take it out of commission? The pool seems to attract them, wonder why. Hope this is in the right place, didn't really know where else to put it.
    Regards,
    Michael
    18ft. diameter, 48 inch deep Sharkline Reprieve AGP, 7000 gallons, Intex 14 inch sand filter with 3/4 H.P. 2,150 GPH pump, Intex SWG
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yellow jackets around my pool

The like the little nooks under the top rail by the posts. All you can do is buy a spray and spray any visible nests. You can try traps nearby, see if that cuts down.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Finding the nest is the first step. Some Yellow Jackets build above-ground exposed nests while others build nests underground. I have had good luck spraying WD-40 around the covered area of the back yard patio, especially where the walls meet the ceiling. I'm going on Year 2 of applying this treatment as a deterrent and so far nothing has built a nest in this area.

If the species you are dealing with has built a nest in the ground, it may be more difficult to find and deal with. If you do find it, you can apply hornet/wasp killer.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Best time to find the nest is at dusk. Like chickens, they go home to roost. As the sun goes down, look for flying ones and follow them. The underground ones we had were usually just little holes an inch or two across. Spray bomb at night usually works but once we tried gasoline down the hole followed by a match. Probably not environmentally acceptable these days, but it worked.

They have really nasty stings and I believe these can sting multiple times.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    They have really nasty stings and I believe these can sting multiple times.
    Yes they can. I have first-hand experience (and certainly not a pleasant one).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

We get them alot as well.
    I get a couple of hanging traps and also try to watch where they hang out, see where they like to land and crawl around.

I got zapped by one a few years ago, pretty agressive little things.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list