gtty

Aug 11, 2012
Houston, Tx. (West Houston)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had a friend give me a Hayward C550 filter w/1hp pump today. Problem I am having is it can't get enough water through the skimmer intake and return jet of my Intex 18ft AGP, and the Strainer basket is sucked dry. When I run the filter with both supply and return hoses over the side in the pool, the flow is great. What should I do to increase flow through the ports. This filter is a beast compared to the dinky thing that came with the pool.

Re: New (to me) Hayward Filter Supply/Return probs in 18ft A

If you are getting air in the pump basket, that probably means you are either sucking in air due to a vortex at the skimmer, or that you have a suction side leak made worse by the restrictive plumbing.

Thanks Linen. I'll go check for a leak at the strainer basket lid. That where I see the water disappear. Maybe I'll try some Vaseline on the gasket sealing area. I wonder if this is the same as what I have now

In this auction you receive one Intex Large Pool Strainer & Inlet Assembly.

Product Description
Intex Large Pool Strainer & Inlet Assembly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intex-Large-Poo ... 519775bf77

Product Features
Includes: (1) Intex Large Pool Inlet Strainer Unit and (1) Intex Large Pool Return Strainer Unit
Replace your Intex 18' and larger Pool Strainers, requires 1.5" inside diameter hoses to use.
Each unit (inlet and return) includes: (1) strainer screen, (1) strainer body, (1) retaining nut and (1) rubber gasket.
Works with the Intex 1500, 2500 and 4000 gallon per hour filtration pumps as well as the Intex Saltwater Chlorinator and Intex 2000 gallon per hour Chlorinator Pump Combo.

Item model number: 11093-10746

Don't use vaseline on the seal, use a silicon of teflon no hardening lube (pool stores are good for this).

The one on the left looks like it could be a "strainer" and used on the suction side, and the one on the right looks like a return fitting to me. Neither look like what I would think of as upgrade...though I am not sure what you have now. Is your skimmer (suction) fitting totally underwater?

I went to Leslie's and bought some silicon gasket grease and took the o-ring off the pump strainer basket and dressed it up. That fixed it. It was sucking air through the seal. Turns out I have the <=4000 gph fittings already. So I'm running like a striped ape now. I dang near have whitewater running in the pool now. I did learn to triple check all of the hose connections. One of the hose clamps wasn't right enough and it became explosively disconnected from the top of the filter and soaked my back. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.