Brian in NY

May 26, 2013
Hi , I am Brian in Syracuse NY.....I am in my 14th season of my in ground fiberglass pool....It is 15X35 and holds about 15.5 gallons.....I had a cartridge for 2 seasons and switched to sand filter...I upgraded pump to 1.5 HP and got my 2nd heater 3 years agop 250k BTU....I use Loop loc in winter (new cover after 12 winters) last year and swear by them......I also am a firm believer in opening and closing kits sold in the box at the start of each season....I used 3 inch tabs with an in-line chlorinator....i am a firm believer in using soda ash especially after it rains (acid rain in northeast) to maintain my pH and alkalinity......i rarely shock in the summer because the chlorine level is maintained in the higher range (much to dismay of female swimmers-hair and swim suits fading...lol).......i have 7 dogs that use the pool so hair could be a problem but rarely is...I use a timer on the filter running it 2 hours in the morning and 4-5 hours in the evening...I use a solar cover during the day to heat pool when not in use and re-cover at night to keep heat loss to minimum at night.....i set my heater to 84 degrees and don't touch it all season

Welcome to TFP :wave:

beekaybee555 said:
I used 3 inch tabs with an in-line chlorinator.
If you are still using these, I would stop and instead use plain liquid bleach/liquid chlorine as your primary chlorine source. The tabs you refer to are likely trichlor tabs and continued use of these will raise your CYA levels, eventually to the point where the FC level required for basic sanitation becomes impractical to manage.

If you are having any issues with your pool, please post a full set of test results. This will enable us to provide better & more targeted advice applicable to your pool.