Intermatic Timer Issues

May 26, 2013
I have followed the discussion about timers on here and reached an impasse. My timer doesn't move, nor does it go on and off. I know it has power, and I looked at the back thinking it was the clock motor, but I then saw the gears moving. I then replaced the on/off trippers, but that did not help. I have the model # of motor (WG1573-5 and 207/277V) but cannot find the model of the timer itself anywhere. And if it's the T100, I'm supposed to use different trippers. So, at this point I don't know what else to do. Could it still be the motor even though the gears are turning?

At what point do I have to replace the whole plate? I'm sure all the connections are wired correctly as this is not a new pool, and it has worked for year, and no changes have been made to the wiring. I do have a salt machine wired into the timer, too, if that's of any relevance. But it has been working fine for a long time now.

Thanks for any help you can provide. If I still do need a motor, please tell me where is a good website from which to order one. Leslie's does not sell the motor separate from the whole plate.

You said you saw the motor gear turning so I suspect the secondary dial gear is stripped or loose on the shaft.

Since you know the voltage and the clock motor number it's most likely the T-104 timer. Post a pic of it and we can probably tell.

I saw two gears turning, a larger one and a smaller one. The ones that are visible through the whole in the metal plate did not seem to be turning. I saw the turning ones only after pulling the metal plate assembly out.

Attached is a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 141
I hate to ask a stupid question, but how do I know if it is the motor gear? There seem to be an awful lot of gears back there. Do you perhaps have a diagram so I could check to see if that particular one is turning or not?

In order to get into the motor box, I assume I need to cut the power to the pool system. Without power, the gear can't move, so how will I know whether that's the problem or not? Also, I think I read that a special screwdriver is required to open the motor box, right?
And recommendations on sites from which to buy either the whole mechanism or the motor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
[attachment=0:xqdeuaey]IMG_0107.jpg[/attachment:xqdeuaey]I'm not communicating as well as I thought I was. So I went out and took another photo, this time of the motor part. There is a square hole in the motor cover, and the gear that you can see through that hole is turning, in fact turning fairly fast. There is also a gear that appears to be outside of the metal motor cover, to the right and forward (more toward the plate); it is turning as well although slower than the other. All the other gear like objects that I see do not appear to be turning. I hope this is clearer. If the gear through the hole in the motor cover is turning, does that mean that the motor is OK? In which case, what are my options?

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 123
I have been searching for the timer mechanism only because I don't think I'm capable of changing out the piping that goes into the box. That apparently is not so easy to find. I found two that have a letter after the T104, in the cheaper case it's T104M. Seems like a fairly good deal. It also says 250V. I believe the motor on my reads 208/277V. I assume all I can to do is click it into the box and then copy the present wiring set up, right? Do you think it's OK to buy this one?

Thanks everyone for your help. I was truly in the dark about this. I did find one less expensive also T104M, but it was labeled as 125V. Could that be right? I'm assuming that it should be somewhere between 208 & 277 as per the motor and therefore the 250V would be the better choice even though it costs more. Last question, I promise :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.