Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Surface vs Down Deep??

1. Back To Top    #1

Surface vs Down Deep??

We have been testing & treating our icky water on our own for about a week now, and out of sheer frustration of still not being able to see the bottom, we pulled water from the deep end (8') and tested that. BOY were the results different!! The pH was quite a bit higher (8.0 instead of 7.4), and the FC was a whole lot lower (approx 5 instead of shock level). Could this be the reason we can't get rid of the greenish brownish cloudy/gunk down there??

I'm pretty much at my wits end....
    28,600 gal, IG vinyl, St. Louis, MO - Installed: 09/2012
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Surface vs Down Deep??

Are you brushing? Besides exposing algae, brushing helps the mixing process. Also, how are the returns pointed? You can adjust the eyeballs to get better water movement.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been brushing as much as I can.. likely not as often as "ideal", and I didn't even learn about brushing until a few days in... But admittedly, it's pretty darn hard to brush all the way to the bottom of the hopper.

How should the eyeballs be pointed... down, I assume???
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

4. Back To Top    #4

No drain in the floor of the deep end? You have to experiment with the eyeballs. Try pointing them toward the deep end and see if that can stir that water up. It's trial and error to get maximum mixing with the eyeballs.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

5. Back To Top    #5

There are 2 main drains in the deep end. I think that's part of why I'm confused it hasn't stirred up much. *sigh* I knew this sucker would require work, but this past week has been a real doozie!!! Someone throw me a stinkin bone! LOL

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a deep end return eyeball fitting you might consider getting one of these:

http://www.infusionpool.com/

I bought one a couple of months ago because I don't have a deep end drain and cold water tends to settle there, well no more, this really does as advertised and shoots water much further down than a plain eyeball fitting.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Newer main drains are designed to distribute the water flow in such way as to minimize the water velocity going into the drain in order to prevent entrapment. As a result, newer main drains will not clear debris from a pool's floor more than a few inches from the main drain.

However, the main drain should still draw some water for circulation. Once the pool is a bit more cleaned up, you can try the syringe test. Fill a syringe with food coloring, dive down to the drain and squirt a little stream of it right near the drain. If it gets sucked in, then the drain is working properly. If not, then there may be a blockage or the valve for the main drain is closed.

So, in a nutshell, manually removing the debris is your best bet (but not necessarily fun).

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy9887
    Someone throw me a stinkin bone! LOL
    At least you still have your sense of humor
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy9887
    But admittedly, it's pretty darn hard to brush all the way to the bottom of the hopper.
    Look on amazon for the wall whale xl. Works excellent.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves