Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation setting

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation setting

Really long vacation.

Going away for three months how many hours a day should I set the pump to run, it will have a solar cover.

Anything else to consider?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation setting

How are you going to keep chlorine in it ? I would think 4hrs a day would be ok. How long do you run it now?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

For a three month vacation I would either get someone else to watch the pool or winterize the pool (completely shut it down). There are significant risks of damaging the equipment if the pool is left too long without attention. For example if the pump loses prime and isn't turned off or re-primed it will destroy it's self after a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    For a three month vacation I would either get someone else to watch the pool or winterize the pool (completely shut it down). There are significant risks of damaging the equipment if the pool is left too long without attention. For example if the pump loses prime and isn't turned off or re-primed it will destroy it's self after a while.
    Yea that sounds even better.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

But assuming the pump is running will all be ok?

The person watching the house will tell me if the pump is running but he will not maintain anything.

I have an auto fill and overflow pipe etc.

6. Back To Top    #6

The issue here is keeping the chemicals up-to-date. If your house sitter isn't comfortable adding chems, you should winterize unless you want to come back to a swamp.

A rather expensive and labor-intensive route would be to install a Liquidator and have the house sitter fill it up when it gets depleted (see the chemical automation forum). One of the other methods someone else on here uses is filling empty bleach bottles with your average daily dose of chlorine and having the house sitter dump one of the bottles in every day. The issue with this is filling 90 bottles for the duration of your vacation and the sitter remembering. Plus, your chems could still get out of whack without weekly testing.

Bottom line: you're probably better off winterizing. Summer will be over by the time you come back anyway (unless you live somewhere where you keep your pool open year-round).
    27,000 gal. vinyl in-ground pool w/ 1.5" piping, 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, Hayward Pro Series sand filter