Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good solar cover and reel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sebastian, FL - USA

Good solar cover and reel?

EDIT 5/29/07 by TMQ - I have moved this topic from the review section to the equipment section.

I am looking for a good quality easy to use solar cover and reel system for an 18' x 37' IG Gunite pool. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Ron 8)
    Hey, who removed the filter from the gene pool!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana
    I have this one Signature Aluminum Reel in the 22ft version with a 36ft cover on it, and the only complaint I have is that I didn't get the casters, so the paint has flaked off the bottom. I keep meaning to order the casters, but haven't. If I had to replace it, I'd get the same one. This is my third season with it.

For the cover, I would go for one that is extruded. Although more expensive, they last longer and aren't as finicky about being left in the sun. My thinking is that clear would be the best if you ever leave it on during the day, and I also think it might discourage animals from walking out on the cover too. I'm not sure anyone currently makes a clear extruded cover, so maybe the blue is your closest option.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Taylorsville, MD
    I've had both the blue and the clear covers...I'll never buy anything BUT a clear cover now, they heat the water much more evenly IMHO...

I recently purchased a clear cover from that had this description...16x32 was $100 shipped

Standard Product Features & Benefits
    One Piece Construction
    Extruded material to eliminate delamination.
    Sewn seams.
    Using BBB successfully for over 5 years!

16x32 vinyl grecian, Hayward EC65, 1hp super pump, Clear solar cover, Loop-lok winter cover, "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel suction cleaner