help me find my suction side air leak

Apr 12, 2009
My pool has been open for just about a week now. All was doing well until yesterday when I noticed that I was having air bubbles coming from my returns. This hadn't been the case earlier in the week. I did backflush my sand filter and clean out the basket in the pump (Hayward Super pump) yesterday morning.

I can see bubbles coming into the basket on the pump. I have 2 skimmers and 1 main drain return - I've tried closing each of them in turn and the bubbles continue and in fact they get worse unless all 3 are open. I replaced the gasket under lid today since the one I had looked a little pinched and it didn't help. I pulled out the drain plug to the basket and it looked to be in good shape, I put some teflon tape around it and reinstalled it and it didn't help either.

Any advice to help me figure out this out would be appreciated.

They are often hard to find. You just have to start at the skimmer, making sure your pool water is deep enough so the skimmer doesn't suck air and then work you way towards the pump. You must check EVERY possible opening....joints, unions O-ring on the pump basket, etc. Make sure there is no debris in the impeller, too. It's somewhere between the skimmer and the impeller and almost NEVER in the underground pipes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.