Please help! Want to do BBB Method with new water.

HELP! We have an inground, vinyl, non-SWG, Oasis shape, 24 x 40, 6 ft deep pool. We think it's roughly 30,000 gallons. We have this a few years now and each year it is becoming quite an expense and usually the pool ends up a mess halfway through the season (New York). Anyway, we filled the pool with fresh water a few days ago and only added 3 bags of shock and 2 gallons of houshold bleach. We did not run the filter yet, we need to get earth. The water was turning a green tint before we added the above bit now it is clearing up somewhat eve without the filter running. Please help, as we have no idea what to do next. Thanks in advance for your support.

Welcome! :cheers:

Please order a test kit and read Pool School like Butterfly said!

What you can do to keep your water mixed up while you wait for your pump is to brush your pool. That mixes the water and chemicals around.

Get some CYA (sold as stabilizer) and dose enough to get up to 30. Use www.poolcalculator.com to dose. If you buy liquid, you can just dump it in. If you buy the solid, you need to put it in an old sock and hang it by the return or in the skimmer (don't clog it though). When it's dissolved, it can take up to a week to show up in tests, but assume it is there and dose chlorine like you are at the 30 CYA. Once you get your water clean and get a TF-100 test kit, I would raise the CYA to 50.

Okay, just got back with the earth so going to backwash, run the filter, vacuum, and remove all the debris. Picked up a JED Pool Tools test kit for now, just tested and got an 8.8 on the chlorine and a 7.2 for the pH. That's really all the test kit does, it only contains red and yellow solutions. At what point do I have to add the CYA as I didn't purchase it yet? Thanks again for all the replies.

what vette said ^^^ but, I suggest you only add enough CYA to reach 30. Wait a week, test CYA and adjust up to 50 if all is okay.

It is much easier to add CYA than to reduce it (water replacement) and you are unsure of the pool gallons.

You can use any kind/brand of CYA. Just read the label and make sure the cyanuric acid is in the high 95% to 100% range. You can find it at Walmart, big box stores, pool stores, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool calculator is great - Thanks! For a goal of 30 CYA it calculated to use 120 oz of CYA. So, I'll be getting that today. I guess I'll go with the granules, how many lbs would that be? Also, what do I do , just put it in an old tube sock? Is it all going to fit? Also, could we use the automatic chlorine dispenser instead to put the CYA in, and if we did would we still use the sock? One more question - can we swim when we add the CYA in or do we have to wait? The chlorine level is fine. We really appreciate all the help - so far the pool looks great.

Yes, I also get 120 ozs. If you scroll to the top of the calculator (beside gallons/under 'calculate') and then hover the mouse over the '120 oz' , the xfer to pounds will appear as 7 lbs 8 ozs. :wink:

You can swim while adding CYA. We recommend the sock method hanging in front of returns.
You're gonna need several socks :)

Don't use the chlorinator for anything except what it is intended for.

Liquid just need to be mixed for an hour. It should show up on the test immediately.

Use poolcalculator.com to tell you how much you need .... something about teaching a man to fish and not just eating or something ;)

Shrimpbones said:
Does 19 lbs of liquid CYA sound right?
No. Recheck the calculator. I think it's about[s:294h836w]3 gallons[/s:294h836w] 2 1/2 gallons (liquid) to add about 30ppm CYA.

Do the same calc you did earlier, follow the same directions above. Hover the mouse over the liquid ounces in the column and then look up under the 'calculate' button. It xfers to gallons/qts.

You should confirm w/calculator.

Okay - the liquid is just way too expensive. Going to go with the Blue Wave 7 lb tub for $17.99 and use the socks, I guess. Does anyone know around how much bleach you'll think we'll need to keep the pool going? Sorry to all of you experienced BBB users out there - this is a little new for us - we'll get the hang of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.