Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to measure chemicals???

1. Back To Top    #1

How to measure chemicals???

I know, a dumb question. I've been using a measuring cup but I assume when hth says 8 oz....they mean 1/2 pound. If that's the case, how do you folks measure out your chemicals?

Thanks in advance!
    Intex Ultra Frame 14' 48''/Intex .5hp Sand Filter 1600gph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to measure chemicals???

Ha, found the answer on this video, guess they do mean fluid ounces.

[youtube:1mjtigpt]2B7dOxUj_Ng[/youtube:1mjtigpt]
    Intex Ultra Frame 14' 48''/Intex .5hp Sand Filter 1600gph

3. Back To Top    #3

Measuring cups measure fluid oz, scales weigh oz weight. Instructions for solid chemicals normally give measurements by weight, while liquid chemicals normally give measurements by fluid oz. The Pool Calculator presents measurements both ways (in most cases).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So a dumb follow-up question but ... at this point all I have is a plastic measuring cup (from the kitchen dept at WalMart)....

Using CYA granules for example - if my measuring cup said 32oz, that is 2 lbs, correct?
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

5. Back To Top    #5

Pls see my dumb question above ...

The pool calculator said I needed to add 78 oz by weight or 82 oz by volume. So my kitchen measuring cup is actually measuring by volume, but is this accurate for non-liquid chemicals? For example - when it shows 32 oz, does it really mean 2 lbs of solid chemicals?
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by karenkolby
    Pls see my dumb question above ...

The pool calculator said I needed to add 78 oz by weight or 82 oz by volume. So my kitchen measuring cup is actually measuring by volume, but is this accurate for non-liquid chemicals? For example - when it shows 32 oz, does it really mean 2 lbs of solid chemicals?
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/ will give you both weight and volume. Measuring cups are always volume.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Or just get a kitchen scale and a large bowl. I picked up a cheap one at Walmart that weighs up to 11lbs in 10ths of an ounce. Put your bowl on the scale and push Tare to 0 out the weight of the bowl and start pouring until you have the right amount.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter