Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 Weeks open and still MILKY water

1. Back To Top    #1

2 Weeks open and still MILKY water

A little background. I live in a mature treed area in Southern Ontario, Canada. Every year, no matter how careful we are we always end up with debris at the bottom of our pool. So every year is blindly scooping leaves from the bottom of the pool. Once I have got most of what I can tell out of the bottom, I go through the opening procedure of topping up water level, hooking up pump and hoses and getting the filter/pump running.

So I add my salt, stabilizer and shock my pool with liquid chlorine and I am always able to get it to a blue but cloudy condition. While the chlorine level is high, I attempted to scoop more leaves to stir up any algae hiding on the bottom. Regular back washing to clear the filter.

So here I am today with milky water.

Temp 65
    Salt 3800
    stabilizer 40
    Total Chlorine 3
    Free Chlorine 3
    PH 7.6
    Calcium 140 (this has been topped up)

Sand was replaced 2 years ago

Pool Store says to try to FLOC it. Is there another course of action before I get to this?

I need help to get my wife off my back
    Southern Ontario, CANADA
    In-ground Concrete pool
    76000 Litres (20000 Gal)
    Goldline SWG
    Hayward pump and Sand Filter

Separate heating system pump
    pump to solar to Air Source Heat Pump

I was a member before but lost all my passwords and couldn't remember old info......New email too

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 2 Weeks open and still MILKY water

Welcome to the forum. I think all you need to do is start the shock process and your pool will clear. You have a good grasp of the chemistry and your test results make good sense (tell us what you are testing with).

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and then follow that article precisely by bringing your FC up to around 16 ppm and then HOLDING IT THERE until your pool clears. That should do it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Welcome to the forum. I think all you need to do is start the shock process and your pool will clear. You have a good grasp of the chemistry and your test results make good sense (tell us what you are testing with).

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and then follow that article precisely by bringing your FC up to around 16 ppm and then HOLDING IT THERE until your pool clears. That should do it.

I do not have a good test kit YET. I have been searching for one here in Canada but most of the places around don't carry them. I have been going to the pool place.

I like using liquid chlorine to shock. I have 40 Litres (21 Gallons) of chlorine right now. Any way of keeping track of my levels with a basic chlorine/PH kit while I shock it?
    Southern Ontario, CANADA
    In-ground Concrete pool
    76000 Litres (20000 Gal)
    Goldline SWG
    Hayward pump and Sand Filter

Separate heating system pump
    pump to solar to Air Source Heat Pump

I was a member before but lost all my passwords and couldn't remember old info......New email too

4. Back To Top    #4

It isn't cheap, but you can get the Taylor K-2006 from Piscines Apollo. Unfortunately, there is an exclusive distribution agreement Taylor has with Lowry & Associates so it has high pricing, at least in part due to the extra duty and fees associated with some of the chemical transport.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"