Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA - liquid vs solid

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA - liquid vs solid

I read in Pool School that the liquid costs a lot more; however, I also noticed that the solid can take up to a week to affect levels in a test kit.

When I switch to SWG I'll be bringing up the CYA level and I'll want to see the level faster on test kits and respond right away.

So, my question is: How long do I need to wait to test the CYA level after adding CYA liquid? And I assume I just add the CYA (liquid) directly to the pool water?
    15K gal, IG plaster, screened, Marathon Electric 1 HP single speed pump, Hayward c-900 cartridge, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA - liquid vs solid

Probably a couple hours. I'd just let it run normally and recheck the next day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard.

Any opinions out there on Suncoast's Liquid Pool Stabilizer? http://www.poolgear.com/product/liqu...er-conditioner
    15K gal, IG plaster, screened, Marathon Electric 1 HP single speed pump, Hayward c-900 cartridge, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It seems to be all pretty much the same stuff, regardless of brand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

How about Natural Chemistry's Instant Conditioner? Is it still CYA? http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemic...r-Conditioner/

I see it's sold at Pool Supply World too.

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, on Natural Chemistry's website they say the following about testing for CYA:

CYA is the hardest test to accurately measure. There are a few challenges to testing CYA in pool water such as: temperature (if pool water is less than 70 degrees or above 80 degrees will give an inaccurate result), pH (needs to be at 7.2), Calcium (over 300ppm will obscure results).
    Is that true? Some of those things don't seem to jive with what I'm reading here.

7. Back To Top    #7

Water temperature does have an effect if it is too cold. Calcium does cause problems with some CYA tests, but not the one we recommend. I've never heard of the PH making any difference, assuming it is in the normal range for pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Jason. I hope water temps above 80 won't affect the CYA test (as they claim) because here in Florida that's pretty much every day half the year.