CYA - liquid vs solid

May 24, 2013
South Florida
I read in Pool School that the liquid costs a lot more; however, I also noticed that the solid can take up to a week to affect levels in a test kit.

When I switch to SWG I'll be bringing up the CYA level and I'll want to see the level faster on test kits and respond right away.

So, my question is: How long do I need to wait to test the CYA level after adding CYA liquid? And I assume I just add the CYA (liquid) directly to the pool water?

Also, on Natural Chemistry's website they say the following about testing for CYA:

CYA is the hardest test to accurately measure. There are a few challenges to testing CYA in pool water such as: temperature (if pool water is less than 70 degrees or above 80 degrees will give an inaccurate result), pH (needs to be at 7.2), Calcium (over 300ppm will obscure results).

Is that true? Some of those things don't seem to jive with what I'm reading here.

Water temperature does have an effect if it is too cold. Calcium does cause problems with some CYA tests, but not the one we recommend. I've never heard of the PH making any difference, assuming it is in the normal range for pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.