Umbrella recommendations for umbrella sleeves

jackty

Jan 18, 2011
West Tennessee
We have ordered our pool, but haven't begun our dig yet. Our plan consists of several umbrella sleeves around the pool. We saw some big umbrellas at Costco last night and we were wondering if those would fit our needs. I know that they have a wood pole, does that matter? I think that they also have a tilt feature. What else should we be looking for when buying our umbrellas? If you have any specific recommendations on umbrellas, it would be great if you could provide a link.

Thanks!!

I've been very happy with the Sunbrella fabric 10' umbrella we purchased from Sam's Club. It has a decent cranking mechanism and has an aluminum pole which is better to use with our salt system. I would make sure you don't buy an umbrella that has a steel pole, for obvious reasons.

The problem I had with wood poles is that they swell up when they get wet. If your sleeves are out of the splash zone or the pole is not too tight a fit, you should be ok. If the pole swell, it is really hard to get out of the sleeve, as I found out the hard way.
Mike

Stay away from wooden poles, too many problems around water.

My best umbrella buy was a clearance sale at the grocery store two years ago, 9' umbrella with aluminum pole for $10 each. They are still in good condition and should last for at least another season. That said, I've also heard that the Sunbrella fabric umbrellas are good.

it just seems like a lot of people use aluminum umbrellas in pool and was told by a pb that each hole should be grounded was curious if anyone has had this done by their builder. Not that anyone should be in pool when rains but for extra safety makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My research said that fiberglass ribs are the best, as the ribs can take a lot of stress, more important as you go to the bigger umbrellas. Best to have vents in the fabric also, lest the wind pick up the whole thing and hurt someone. (saw that happen at a restaurant, wind picked up umbrellas, hurled one over the side of the rail)
Sunbrella fabric is better than polyester for resisting fading. How it cranks and tilts can be important, I think the best crank is the type called collar tilt. Manual tilt is just so hard to do, getting that little button pushed, so high up, so hard to do under the weight of the umbrella. Be sure that the umbrella has a tie or several, to help keep bats and critters out when it is closed. No fun to find a wasp nest inside.
Aluminum is best for the pole, we always find water in the sleeve, rain not splashed pool water. Weight matters when you are carrying it to the attic for the winter. Also, keep that shipping box or at least the plastic wrapper for winter storage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.