Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella recommendations for umbrella sleeves

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrella recommendations for umbrella sleeves

We have ordered our pool, but haven't begun our dig yet. Our plan consists of several umbrella sleeves around the pool. We saw some big umbrellas at Costco last night and we were wondering if those would fit our needs. I know that they have a wood pole, does that matter? I think that they also have a tilt feature. What else should we be looking for when buying our umbrellas? If you have any specific recommendations on umbrellas, it would be great if you could provide a link.

Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Umbrella recommendations for umbrella sleeves

I just picked up a couple of 11' California umbrellas at amazon after lots of shopping. Needed sunbrella and aluminum poles for the AZ sun. Best deal I found after looking at SAMs, costco, patio shop and eBay.
    30' x 17' 14,000 Gallon Play Pool, Aqua Splash Beadcrete Interior, Hayward C7030 Filter, Hayward SP3400VSP Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Turbo-Cell 15 Salt Cell, Baja Shelf w/Periscopic Bubbler, 3 Scupper Water Feature, Paramount In-Floor Cleaning, Aqua Logic PS8 w/Aqua Pod Wireless Controller, TF-100 Test Kit, DM2000 Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker!!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been very happy with the Sunbrella fabric 10' umbrella we purchased from Sam's Club. It has a decent cranking mechanism and has an aluminum pole which is better to use with our salt system. I would make sure you don't buy an umbrella that has a steel pole, for obvious reasons.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on a wood pole in a salt water pool? Well, not technically in the pool. The sleeves will be in the decking.

5. Back To Top    #5

The problem I had with wood poles is that they swell up when they get wet. If your sleeves are out of the splash zone or the pole is not too tight a fit, you should be ok. If the pole swell, it is really hard to get out of the sleeve, as I found out the hard way.
    Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

6. Back To Top    #6

I was also told by a pool builder that the holes need to be grounded!
    Freeform gunite, 14,000 gallon saltwater sport pool.
    10 ton moss rock w/ waterfall, 50 sq ft raised spa.
    Bluestone coping, pebblesheen. Jandy pro flo 1 hp pump, legacy 325k heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Stay away from wooden poles, too many problems around water.

My best umbrella buy was a clearance sale at the grocery store two years ago, 9' umbrella with aluminum pole for $10 each. They are still in good condition and should last for at least another season. That said, I've also heard that the Sunbrella fabric umbrellas are good.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Are your openings grounded?

9. Back To Top    #9

I only have one umbrella sleeve, but it is PVC - nothing to ground. Made by waterway plastics.
    http://www.waterwayplastics.com/product ... cessories/

Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

10. Back To Top    #10

it just seems like a lot of people use aluminum umbrellas in pool and was told by a pb that each hole should be grounded was curious if anyone has had this done by their builder. Not that anyone should be in pool when rains but for extra safety makes sense.

11. Back To Top    #11

Nope
    30' x 17' 14,000 Gallon Play Pool, Aqua Splash Beadcrete Interior, Hayward C7030 Filter, Hayward SP3400VSP Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Turbo-Cell 15 Salt Cell, Baja Shelf w/Periscopic Bubbler, 3 Scupper Water Feature, Paramount In-Floor Cleaning, Aqua Logic PS8 w/Aqua Pod Wireless Controller, TF-100 Test Kit, DM2000 Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Why not? Is the pool grounded enough already?

13. Back To Top    #13

Do most builders install umbrella openings during gunite shooting or drill afterwards?

14. Back To Top    #14

The gunite crew should take care of it on the day they shoot the gunite, they should not have to drill afterwards. The plaster crew will finish the final install.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

15. Back To Top    #15

My research said that fiberglass ribs are the best, as the ribs can take a lot of stress, more important as you go to the bigger umbrellas. Best to have vents in the fabric also, lest the wind pick up the whole thing and hurt someone. (saw that happen at a restaurant, wind picked up umbrellas, hurled one over the side of the rail)
    Sunbrella fabric is better than polyester for resisting fading. How it cranks and tilts can be important, I think the best crank is the type called collar tilt. Manual tilt is just so hard to do, getting that little button pushed, so high up, so hard to do under the weight of the umbrella. Be sure that the umbrella has a tie or several, to help keep bats and critters out when it is closed. No fun to find a wasp nest inside.
    Aluminum is best for the pole, we always find water in the sleeve, rain not splashed pool water. Weight matters when you are carrying it to the attic for the winter. Also, keep that shipping box or at least the plastic wrapper for winter storage.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

16. Back To Top    #16

I think my pb' s crew forgot about the sleeve, when i mentioned it to him he said that later they bore it out and epoxy it. I also reminded him a few days before shooting .