Oh no...woke up this morning and pump is not running...help!

brian4110

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
I went out to test the water and immediately noticed the filter pump is not running. Tried turning it back on to no avail. Circuit breaker is not tripped. Spa pump still working fine so I am able to circulate the water to some extent. The pool pump is extremely hot to the touch.

When the pb came out last week to open, he mentioned the pump was running loudly (I have no baseline to compare) and theorized the bearing were going bad. That's my only lead right now.

I have a 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump. I am brand new to this house/pool so I have no idea how old it is or how well maintained. We opened the pool last week and I finally ALMOST got the water clear, only for the pump to fail. Being a holiday weekend, the PB won't come out until "Tuesday or Wednesday" they say. They are open today and do have pumps in stock.

Any advice?

I am somewhat handy...I've replaced under the sink garbage disposals before. This seems like maybe in the same realm of difficulty. Should I just go ahead and replace the whole thing? The pool store is open today until 2. I don't want to wait 48 hours without filtering as I am afraid I'll go back to a green mess. If you think a newbie can do the replacement on his own, what should I replace with? I've got a 1.5hp single speed right now. Can I save some money and drop down to a 1hp?

Thanks as always!

Attachments

• gold pump.JPG
    gold pump.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 96
  • setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 96
Re: Oh no...woke up this morning and pump is not running...h

I can't advise on resizing, but I've pulled and replaced my motor. If you can do a disposal, the pump is easy. And it looks like you have room to get in there to disconnect the wiring in place. I had to take it out with the conduit attached and disconnect it at the panel!

brian4110 said:
what should I replace with? I've got a 1.5hp single speed right now.
Regardless of who replaces it, I would go with a 2-speed as that will save you on electric cost. Another option is to replace just the motor if the pump itself (wet end) is in good shape. If you go with this option, select a motor with the same Service Factor HP (SFHP) as your current motor. From the label on your current motor, the SF =1 and the HP = 1.5 for a SFHP of 1.5 (calculated as SF of 1 * HP of 1.5).

If you are without a pump for a couple of days, don't despair. Just pay attention to your FC levels. I would dilute the chlorine in a bucket before adding it, though. You will then have to manually stir the water immediately after dosing (a helper to do the stirring while you are adding would be beneficial). There have been other users who were without power for a week or so that have followed this basic approach and they avoided a green mess.

Any advice on a vendor?

My fear is that I replace the motor and the pump still doesnt work. Are the odds close to 100% that the issue is a burned out motor?

brian4110 said:
Any advice on a vendor?

My fear is that I replace the motor and the pump still doesnt work. Are the odds close to 100% that the issue is a burned out motor?
The pump consists of a plate that bolts to the motor, an impeller, and the housing with the strainer basket and the pipe connections. It can stay right there. Short of cracking, there isn't much that can go wrong with the pump housing itself.

I am brand new to this house/pool so I have no idea how old it is or how well maintained.
If there is a shadow of a doubt as to the condition of the pump, I would replace the whole thing. Although, in general, pumps tend to last longer than the motors. If you have a trusted installer, they can help diagnose the pump and make the call. One thing I should mention is, if the pump is deemed to be in good shape and you just replace the motor, you need to replace the seal that goes between the pump & the motor with a brand-new seal.

If you replace just the motor, here is a link to get you started: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/48y_square_flange.htm

If you decide to replace the pump and motor, I would just do a few internet searches as prices can change daily among the sellers. As for pump manufacturers, Pentair, Haywood, and Jandy are the names that immediately come to mind.

It depends on the motor. Some 2-speed motors have a speed switch on the motor itself while others will need an extra wire (Load wire) to control High vs Low on a 2-speed and an appropriate timer switch to handle it. The latter case is more common.

Ran out and picked up a replacement motor at the local pool store. Price was a little higher than Amazon, but not so much that it was worth the wait. Self installed...so far so good.

Thanks to all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.