Time Vs. Keeping A Higher CL Level

Jul 25, 2008
Pool slowly turning from pea green to blue but cloudy. Running pump at high speed 24 hrs per day, scrub liner except bottom drain area until I can see it, and pool solar cover on during daytime to minimize chlorine burn off. Do shock harder or give it more time?

Day 1 - Pool opened and pump started. Color was dark green.
Day 2 - Added stabilizer (6 lbs). CYA went from 0 to 50. Few hours later added 4 gallons of CL (22 ppm).
Day 3 - FC 11 ppm. Added 2 gallons (11 ppm) back to 22
Day 4 - FC 18 ppm. Added 1 gallon (5.5 ppm) back to 23.5
Day 5 - FC 20 ppm. Added < 1 gallon (4 ppm) back to 24. CYA check and it 50.
Day 6 - FC 19 ppm. Added < 1 gallon (2 ppm) back to 21
Day 7 - FC 16 ppm. Added 2 gallon (11.5 ppm) back to 27.5
Day 8 - FC 21 ppm. Added 1 gallon (5.5) back 26.5

Chlorine tested and added on night time.
1 gallon = 5.5 ppm
CYA of 50 states shock requires 20 ppm
PH normal after initial adjustment before shocking and looks good daily.
ALK tested on Day 7 and was 170.

Vinyl, Inground, 23,000, sand filter

KK

You are doing just fine. There is no need for higher FC levels, that will just use more total chlorine to do the same job.

You want to see daily improvement in the water clarity. This is often easiest to judge by looking at a ladder or stairs. If you are seeing a daily improvement then all is well. If you stop seeing any improvement then it is time to try something new.

kenbob57:

I would give it more time. The shock FC targets strike a balance between killing off organics while not being overly harsh on your pool and equipment. Keep in mind that you need to test several times a day to keep FC within the recommended shock range. One tweak I would make is to concentrate your testing/dosing at night as much as you can . The nighttime approach eliminates FC loss due to sunlight and thus makes more efficient use of your chlorine. However, that is not a license to ignore things during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.