Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time Vs. Keeping A Higher CL Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Time Vs. Keeping A Higher CL Level

Pool slowly turning from pea green to blue but cloudy. Running pump at high speed 24 hrs per day, scrub liner except bottom drain area until I can see it, and pool solar cover on during daytime to minimize chlorine burn off. Do shock harder or give it more time?

Day 1 - Pool opened and pump started. Color was dark green.
    Day 2 - Added stabilizer (6 lbs). CYA went from 0 to 50. Few hours later added 4 gallons of CL (22 ppm).
    Day 3 - FC 11 ppm. Added 2 gallons (11 ppm) back to 22
    Day 4 - FC 18 ppm. Added 1 gallon (5.5 ppm) back to 23.5
    Day 5 - FC 20 ppm. Added < 1 gallon (4 ppm) back to 24. CYA check and it 50.
    Day 6 - FC 19 ppm. Added < 1 gallon (2 ppm) back to 21
    Day 7 - FC 16 ppm. Added 2 gallon (11.5 ppm) back to 27.5
    Day 8 - FC 21 ppm. Added 1 gallon (5.5) back 26.5

Chlorine tested and added on night time.
    1 gallon = 5.5 ppm
    CYA of 50 states shock requires 20 ppm
    PH normal after initial adjustment before shocking and looks good daily.
    ALK tested on Day 7 and was 170.

Vinyl, Inground, 23,000, sand filter

inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Time Vs. Keeping A Higher CL Level

Are you only adding chlorine once a day? As it gets used up, the algae can start reproducing which slows things down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

You are doing just fine. There is no need for higher FC levels, that will just use more total chlorine to do the same job.

You want to see daily improvement in the water clarity. This is often easiest to judge by looking at a ladder or stairs. If you are seeing a daily improvement then all is well. If you stop seeing any improvement then it is time to try something new.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

I would give it more time. The shock FC targets strike a balance between killing off organics while not being overly harsh on your pool and equipment. Keep in mind that you need to test several times a day to keep FC within the recommended shock range. One tweak I would make is to concentrate your testing/dosing at night as much as you can . The nighttime approach eliminates FC loss due to sunlight and thus makes more efficient use of your chlorine. However, that is not a license to ignore things during the day.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

I agree with Richard. Maybe try testing and dosing twice a day instead of just once, but otherwise I think your process is textbook.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

All, Thanks for your inputs. I will adjust my monitoring / dosing to twice a day.

Thanks again
    inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

7. Back To Top    #7

San Rafael, CA USA

When clearing is slow and you have a sand filter you can see how to Add DE to a Sand Filter to speed up clearing by catching finer particles more quickly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"