Which test is more reliable?

Sep 4, 2012
I am using the TF test kit with two different chlorine test options. There is the simple test and the one that uses the 870 powder to test above 5PPM or more accurately (according to the instructions). I ran my Aqua Rite overnight on super chlorinate because we had gotten some rain and when I tested this morning it was pretty week yellow on the quick test. Maybe between one 1 and 2 ppm. So I tried using the other test to be more accurate. it gave me a reading of 7PPM. which one of these should I trust?
thanks for the help.

Tim Schandorff

I would say trust the powder test. The color test can be very subjective depending on the background of the clear tube. Was the water for both from the same sample? I began using a turkey baster so that I can get a sample from 2' down and fill a cup that I then use for all tests. And avoid getting the sample from near a return. Do you have the speedstir? If not, make sure you constantly shake the vial while adding drops. Hope this helps!

tim_schandorff said:
I am using the TF test kit with two different chlorine test options. There is the simple test and the one that uses the 870 powder to test above 5PPM or more accurately (according to the instructions). I ran my Aqua Rite overnight on super chlorinate because we had gotten some rain and when I tested this morning it was pretty week yellow on the quick test. Maybe between one 1 and 2 ppm. So I tried using the other test to be more accurate. it gave me a reading of 7PPM. which one of these should I trust?
thanks for the help.

Tim Schandorff
If you used the 25 ml sample, your FC would be more like 2.8, which tallies better with the OTO test. It's a common mistake.

The FAS-DPD test is better in nearly every way, but it is more work and more expensive. The OTO test is terrible for trying to figure out a precise FC level. The greatest strength of the OTO test (drops turn the sample various shades of yellow) is for checking for chlorine vs. no chlorine, which the FAS-DPD test occasionally gets wrong.

Many people use the OTO test for quick daily testing just to make sure they haven't somehow lost all of their chlorine, and then use the FAS-DPD weekly to figure out the exact amount of chlorine to add each day. Others prefer to use the FAS-DPD test all of the time.

I second that. The DPD-FAS is more cut and dry compared to the OTO test. Since you are looking for color change instead of shade of yellow it seems more accurate. However, the math component (x .5) can be an error factor.

7 ppm should have clearly been yellow (5 ppm +) on the OTO. I would double check your test process for errors (math, sample sizes etc.)

Richard320 said:
If you used the 25 ml sample, your FC would be more like 2.8, which tallies better with the OTO test. It's a common mistake.

The test instructions said to use 10ml for the sample size so that's what I used? Is there a reason to use 25ml?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Tim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.