Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there anything I can add to muddy clay to firm it up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there anything I can add to muddy clay to firm it up?

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a 40 sq ft area next to our AGP for the filter and pump to sit as well as a future heater. I just wanted to put down some paver sand and sit some concrete blocks on top. Problem is that the area is pretty wet. I made the mistake of tilling the area because there was tall grass and weeds. Them I had a wet sloppy mess of clay and grass. I added paver base to it hoping to firm it up but now it's muddy gravel. If I step on it I sink into it. There's more storms on the way and I need to get the pump/filter hooked back up. Is there anything I can add to the sloppy mess to fix this? All my google searches talk about lawn issues which I really don't care about (improving the soil etc). I just need a solid surface that will hold the pump. Apparently hydrated lime works well but nobody sells it around here.

Thanks.
    24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there anything I can add to muddy clay to firm it up?

Lime would be the best. Next thing would be portland.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

3. Back To Top    #3

Will this work?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/40-lb-Pelletiz ... /100348791

I know there's a few different kinds. Any idea how much I need for 40 sq ft?
    24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Get the bag in powder form. I used on the floor of my pool while I was building it. It works great.
    DIY 18x36 Vinyl Liner 1Hp 2 speed super pump, Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter, Pentair 12v Intellibrite 5G, MX8 suction pool cleaner.