Ball vs gate valves

May 11, 2012
Danville, IN
Need some expert advice. I've done some searching but not really found any good posts specific to this topic. What is the best valve application to use on the suction side - ball vs gate, brass vs PVC vs pentair/jandy?

I currently have brass gate valves, but recently found one is sucking air badly. Attempted to repack it and found I can't get it busted loose, so looks like I need to replace. These have been in place for 10+ years so tempted to replace with same setup. I've heard ball valves are better but not sure how they will do long term. I don't know much about the Pentair/Jandy types, so not sure what to think with those. A quick check of pricing online shows all three are appear to be relatively close in price.

I currently have three on/off valves, so not sure if I should consider a 3 way valve for the skimmers. Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated.

Ball valves are a pain. After being in the sun, the cheap handles get brittle and inevitably crack off, leaving you with a little nub instead of a handle. Then you gotta keep a pair of pliers by your equipment pad. Tacky.

Jandy valves are A+++++. Smooth turning, low head loss, and can be taken apart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.