Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ball vs gate valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Ball vs gate valves

Need some expert advice. I've done some searching but not really found any good posts specific to this topic. What is the best valve application to use on the suction side - ball vs gate, brass vs PVC vs pentair/jandy?

I currently have brass gate valves, but recently found one is sucking air badly. Attempted to repack it and found I can't get it busted loose, so looks like I need to replace. These have been in place for 10+ years so tempted to replace with same setup. I've heard ball valves are better but not sure how they will do long term. I don't know much about the Pentair/Jandy types, so not sure what to think with those. A quick check of pricing online shows all three are appear to be relatively close in price.

I currently have three on/off valves, so not sure if I should consider a 3 way valve for the skimmers. Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated.
    25K gal IG Vinyl Ell shaped pool, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP single speed pump,
    Pentair SandDollar sand filter (Zeobrite), Pentai Intellichlor IC40 Chlorine Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ball vs gate valves

Well.... you don't need to make every mistake yourself.... Check these threads. You can probably find more using the search function (upper right)
    regular-pvc-ball-valve-vs-jandy-or-pentair-valves-t45257.html
    issues-with-losing-pump-prime-t59126.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would never use either a ball valve or a gate valve. It is always worth using the Jandy NeverLube series or the equivalent from other companies.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The water main to my house was a cheap pvc ball, one basement remodel later......
    someone posted a side by side of the jandy vs pentair and the looked the same. Pentair just cheaper

5. Back To Top    #5

Ball valves are a pain. After being in the sun, the cheap handles get brittle and inevitably crack off, leaving you with a little nub instead of a handle. Then you gotta keep a pair of pliers by your equipment pad. Tacky.

Jandy valves are A+++++. Smooth turning, low head loss, and can be taken apart.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help and advice. I have three pentair valves on the way.
    25K gal IG Vinyl Ell shaped pool, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP single speed pump,
    Pentair SandDollar sand filter (Zeobrite), Pentai Intellichlor IC40 Chlorine Generator