Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Squaring the walls??

1. Back To Top    #1

Squaring the walls??

Hello,

18x36 IG DIY under construction....

I've got the steel panels in place and am in the process of squaring things up. Should I expect the panel dimensions to be exactly 18x36 ??

For example, at the deep end, i can only get the width down to 18' 1" before the end wall starts to bow out. there's no swim-out......just straight wall. (also, all measurements are taken at the base of the panels, not the top)

I'm to the point that I don't think I'm going to be able to get a net measurement of 18x36.

if everything is plumb / level / square and the dimensions end up being an 1" or so bigger, will that work?

Thanks for any advice...

TH
    18 x 36, 2' Radius Corners, Steel Walls......DIY Construction started May 2103.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Squaring the walls??

I think 1" off is too much, mine was within 1/4" or less.

What do you mean the walls will bow out? Can you post a picture?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

[attachment=0:1fl2am1a]Hodgdon-20130526-00150.jpg[/attachment:1fl2am1a]

Thanks for the response...I marked the corners I'm measuring with orange ribbon. At the base of the walls, from ribbon to ribbon, , I expected this measurement to be right at 18'.

Instead, it's at 18' 1" and if I squeeze it tighter, the back wall (with the light cut-out) bows inward from the pressure.

This is my first pool project, so I wasn't sure if these measurements were expected to be exact or not...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I imagine you are fine but that advice needs to come from where you bought the panels. I assume they are supplying the liner as well so they will know FAR more about tolerances than any of us just looking at a pic.

The liner has quite a bit of stretch....if you're square, I'll bet you're ok.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

This may sound dumb but what kind of tape measure are you using? If it is a cheap vinyl type being suspended in the air the sag could account for quite a bit. I had a similar issue on mine but it was the long side. Just a thought.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's a good point....and not a dumb question.....but in this case I'm using a steel tape stretched tight.

7. Back To Top    #7

All set now....looks like the guy (me) lining things up didn't have his head on straight.

Just took a little more jockeying things around to bring the walls into square.

I'm blaming it on the steady rain that's been falling since I dug my hole......I think it may have clouded my judgement......

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Glad it was an easy catch. Just posting back because I forgot to mention your DIY work looks very nice.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad its working out for you now!
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG