Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lowering TA a little bit?

1. Back To Top    #1

lowering TA a little bit?

My pH is just a tad high (7.7-7.8 or so) but my TA is 110. That isn't ideal, but it's not crazy high (right?). I know the standard way to lower TA is to to use acid and take pH all the way back down to 7.2 and then raise the pH back up naturally. But if I were to only reduce pH to say 7.4, would that have some marginal effect on the TA at least? Or is it truly necessary to take pH all the way down to 7.2 first?

The other question is should I really worry about TA anyway? Even with the SWG and the air leaks I have in the system (which would seem to be really good aerators), my pH is really steady. I guess my question is whether this might be a YMMV type thing.

I mean, taking the "real world" approach, should I worry more about how the system is responding in this case than hitting a target number?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lowering TA a little bit?

But if I were to only reduce pH to say 7.4, would that have some marginal effect on the TA at least?
    Yes it would still lower it, just more slowly.

TA is a measure of the water's ability to buffer pH changes. Low TA levels often cause the pH to swing around wildly. High TA usually causes pH to drift up. So, the real factor to consider in determining whether to adjust TA is, Is your pH relatively stable within the recommended target range? If it is, I wouldn't fiddle with TA.

I mean, taking the "real world" approach, should I worry more about how the system is responding in this case than hitting a target number?
    Yes! You are a fast learner.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, any acid you add will lower TA. Check out the effects of adding chemicals at the bottom of pool calculator. First you plug in numbers to get the acid dose for the pH. Go plug that amount into the effects box and it will show you how much TA will go down. I'd do just what you propose, myself - keep it right around 7.4 which is the pH of human tears.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

^^^^ what they said

Even with the SWG and the air leaks I have in the system (which would seem to be really good aerators), my pH is really steady.
    Wow, you are lucky
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Check out the effects of adding chemicals at the bottom of pool calculator. First you plug in numbers to get the acid dose for the pH. Go plug that amount into the effects box and it will show you how much TA will go down.
    For crying out loud! I totally forgot about that! And I have the page bookmarked of course, I just never scroll down that far. That totally answers that question and the 2 follow up ones I just asked myself.
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4