Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand in the pool

I always have sand build up in my two dead spots that my in floor doesn't hit. I brush the drain and it goes away, but always comes back after a few days. Should I be vacuuming out this sand? I assumed it would get picked up by my sand filter and I can backwash. Could there be a problem with my sand filter that leaves sand in the pool?

~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand in the pool

Modawg2k:

I would vacuum it out.

As for how it's getting in there, I would first rule out other environmental factors that might be depositing it. First off, determine if it is really sand or other dirt/debris. We have had a few days of rain here this week (some of it rather intense) and that has washed some dirt/dust/pollen out of the air and off the patio & roof and some of that makes its way into the pool. It usually deposits in the same areas.

If it truly is sand and your nearby soil is not sandy and you are not near a beach, then I would take a closer look at your sand filter. There might be a broken or cracked lateral that could be letting some sand through.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If it truly is sand
    Bodarville makes a good point. Probably 80% or higher of the "sand in the pool" reports on this forum are not sand at all but either dead algae or debris blown into the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey guys, question on getting the debris out. I have an in-floor system so I don't own any kind of pool vacuuming equipment. What do you suggest for getting it out? I don't really want to spend a ton of money on some equipment to do this. I own a shop vac but I'm not sure if that's suitable for pool use.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Modawg2k
    Hey guys, question on getting the debris out. I have an in-floor system so I don't own any kind of pool vacuuming equipment. What do you suggest for getting it out? I don't really want to spend a ton of money on some equipment to do this. I own a shop vac but I'm not sure if that's suitable for pool use.

For a one time use I think it would do it if you have a long enough hose. Have one person ready with the hose on the dirt in the water and one turning it on and off so water doesn't keep spewing out of it. Worth a shot just don't get it so close to the pool. Can you not brush it towards a place where it can get cleaned?
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    For a one time use I think it would do it if you have a long enough hose. Have one person ready with the hose on the dirt in the water and one turning it on and off so water doesn't keep spewing out of it. Worth a shot just don't get it so close to the pool. Can you not brush it towards a place where it can get cleaned?
    I brush it to the drain all the time and it just keeps coming back after a few days. I would think the sand filter would pick that up but apparently not.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

M2K,

Have you positively identified it as sand coming from your filter?
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have not yet. I will grab a sample tonight and check it out. I will try to take a good picture of it because I'm sure I will not know what I am looking out once I get it out.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Sand is sand....gritty. dirt is slippery and dirty. dead algae will brush away in a "poof" and you won't be able to pick it up.
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

It definitely doesn't brush away in a poof like some of the algae has that formed on my sidewall. I will get that sample later

11. Back To Top    #11

I actually didn't get a sample because I was busy working on my water feature tonight. I ended up just brushing it all into the drain this time. My thinking now is that this is just all the **** that comes from my water feature, which needs to be the focus on my pool right now. Basically animals make my water feature their playground. Here's is my thread on my water feature.

help-my-water-feature-is-slowly-trying-to-kill-my-pool-t60982.html