suction or pressure side cleaner without booster

hulla

Apr 24, 2013
I recently got a variable speed pump for energy savings since my electricity rate is 33 cents/kWh and am now thinking about getting rid of my polaris 280 and booster pump for a new cleaner that doesn't use a booster. I figure the energy savings would pay for the new cleaner in just a few years.

I don't want a robot because I want something I can just leave in the pool.

I initially didn't think a suction side cleaner was for me because I would have to clean the de filter much more often. But if it can be used with an inline leaf canister, then it may be the best option for me.

A pressure side cleaner that doesn't need a booster pump is another option.

Looking at poolvergnuegen thepoolcleaner for both the pressure or suction models.

I don't get a ton of leaves but i do get some. Which option sounds better for me?

Other pool info: 15k gallon inground, easytouch, intelliflo, inellichlor, de filter, waterfall on separate pump.

With the Easy Touch system you can set a program for a "cleaner" to run at say for example 2800 rpm or more depending on the pool set-up (side port or skimmer connection for the suction side cleaner). I've set up a Kreepy Krualy at a pool in the skimmer with the exact equipment you have and it need 3100 rpm to get it moving well from a skimmer connection. The poolvergnuegen thepoolcleaner 2 wheel model is what customer settled on. I have it programmed to run for three hours at 3150 rpm from the skimmer. I guess if it had a side port I could run it at a lower speed. I have a pool with a Zodiac G2 running at about 2600 rpm (from a side port) on the intelliflow pump. The G2 is lighter and requires less suction than the two other cleaners I mentioned here. You will have to run the pump on high speed another words to get any suction side cleaner to move. A Pressure side cleaner with no booster pump will also require you to run your pump on high speed for at least two hours. The Polaris 360 runs on less RPMs than the Poolvergnuegen pressure side cleaner - not much of a difference but enough to make a difference in your energy bill.

My pick would be a Zodiac G2 set at the lowest RPM you can in your pool 2600 rpm or less if you have a side port for a suction cleaner. I have several accounts with variable speed and dual speed pumps with cleaners.

One note - on the intelliflo 4 button type pump in "Timeout Mode" the speed is set at the factory at 3100 RPM - that is a good way to test a cleaner and adjust it from there.

You could convert the pressure cleaner line to a suction line but it would probably be easier just to add an actuated valve to the existing pressure cleaner line.

My thinking was that most people don't have a dedicated, or want to dedicate, a suction port to a suction cleaner all the time and since you already have a dedicated pressure port it would be the best choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.