Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains on Vinyl

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains on Vinyl

Hi,
    I'm a new home owner that inherited a 33,000 gal inground pool. I took the cover off for the first time in early May and discovered a green mess which I've (with your help) cleaned up nicely. The numbers are great FC=6, CC=0, pH=7.5, TA=110, CH=130, CYA=50 and crystal clear. The pool took a while to clear up and I discovered brown staining on the liner. The stains have straight lines so I don't think it's due to leaves. They run along the bottom as well as up the sides. I had the water tested for metals and it came back negative. There is a heater that's about 10 years old that the previous owner said he only used the first year. I currently have it bypassed. There is also a Nature 2 cartridge installed but hasn't been replaced so it is at least 1 year old. THAT is coming out soon. Does anyone have an idea on how to determine the cause and the best way to remove them? I've attached a photo hoping you can make out the stains. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
    St. Louis, MO
    33K gal, IG vinyl, 2.2 SFHP WhisperFlo pump, Tagelus 325# TA-60D 3.1 sqft sand filter (24.5" diameter), MiniMax Plus 400M heater, TigerShark robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains on Vinyl

Crush up some vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock or stocking and rub it on the stains. If it lightens them it's metal staining. If it doesn't it's organic and holding the FC at the high normal number will eventually lighten them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. I'm shopping for "C" now.
    St. Louis, MO
    33K gal, IG vinyl, 2.2 SFHP WhisperFlo pump, Tagelus 325# TA-60D 3.1 sqft sand filter (24.5" diameter), MiniMax Plus 400M heater, TigerShark robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by wollerd
    Thank you. I'm shopping for "C" now.
    Store brand tablets at the closest CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, whatever you have.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

{shrug} It does not appear to be metal staining as it remained the same after a thorough "C" scrubbing.
    St. Louis, MO

6. Back To Top    #6

That doesn't brush off with a pool brush, right?
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

7. Back To Top    #7

That's not necessarily bad news. At least you won't have to maintain sequestrant.

Raise your FC level to the top of normal level and hold it there. It should lighten the stains over time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If you really want the peace of mind knowing chlorine will take it away, you can rub a trichlor tab on in to see if it lightens.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing