Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa draining when I put pool on spa mode

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa draining when I put pool on spa mode

So I have a pool with an attached spa. It's a aqualink I think. I have a remote control. It always worked fine. Today, I turned it on spa mode in order to heat it, and it started draining. It looked like it was draining into the pool. I turned everything off on the remote and tried again. Same thing. I lookeda t the panel and it looked normal. Any suggestions?
    The filters and saltcell were cleaned recently by some maintenance guys. I'm wondering if maybe they hit some switch or something I'm not aware of.
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    15k, IG, gunnite, Pentair whisperflo, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus ccp520 Cartridge, Polaris valve actuator, Goldline valve actuator GVA 24,Aquarite Goldline electronic cell, remote control upgraded from Polaris Sol 1000 to a Jandy PDA Aqualink RS, spa attached with spillover, Built in 3/2004.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa draining when I put pool on spa mode

Sounds like a valve isn't switching or is leaking by allowing the water to be sucked from the spa and returned to the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you know why it would not be switching? I took a picture of the valves when running ok in pool mode. There are 5 valves. The big valve to the left is the polaris, the big valve to the right is the goldline. The second picture is of the switches on the polaris.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    15k, IG, gunnite, Pentair whisperflo, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus ccp520 Cartridge, Polaris valve actuator, Goldline valve actuator GVA 24,Aquarite Goldline electronic cell, remote control upgraded from Polaris Sol 1000 to a Jandy PDA Aqualink RS, spa attached with spillover, Built in 3/2004.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the mode you show, it looks like it's drawing water from the pool only and returning water to the pool and spa.

When you switch to spa mode, does both actuated valves switch?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

When I switched it to spa mode, just the valve on the left (the polaris) did a 180. The last valve on the right didn't do anything. Then shortly after the whole thing stopped working. I cant turn anything on at all. So now I'm trying to reach an electrician to see what's wrong with that. Hopefully minor. But when I get it to work, what should the spa mode look like when it's working right? Any suggestions on what might be wrong with the spa mode?
    New Orleans, Louisiana

6. Back To Top    #6

When it's working correctly, the valve on the left will switch opposite of what it is in the picture and the valve on the right will switch 90 degrees one way or the other (I suspect it will turn ccw).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

If it's not doing that, does it mean I probably need a whole new valve? If so, any particular type recommended given the equiptment I have?
    New Orleans, Louisiana

8. Back To Top    #8

The first thing to do after getting the power back on is to flip the switch on the right valve and see if it will move. If it does it may be a matter of reprogramming it to be in the spa mode. If it doesn't, we'll need to do more troubleshooting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I tried hitting the spa mode button on the panel before the power went out and the valve on the right (goldline) didn't move. I didn't see any switch on the valve itself. Is there supposed to be one? I only found switched on the left polaris valve.
    New Orleans, Louisiana

10. Back To Top    #10

It may be under the bottom, but there should be one I think.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

So of course I can't find an electrician over memorial day to easily. I'm worried about the pool getting green without the pumps running. Any suggestions on what I can dump in there to keep it clean while the pumps are down? Can I buy shock and just dump it in without pumps? Any suggestions? The chlorine level is already pretty low, but the water is still clear for now.
    New Orleans, Louisiana

12. Back To Top    #12

You can pour enough bleach in there and stir it really well with a brush to get it stirred up.

Have you checked the breakers? It may be just one tripped and resetting it may get you back running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I checked all of the breakers. Then I got a hold of my electrician friend. He found a 9 volt battery that was dead inside the panel and thought at first it was that simple. But after replacing the battery, we still couldn't get it to turn on. He checked the fuse, and everything else. He thinks maybe the mother board is shot. He's going to call the manufacturer tomorrow. I think I upgraded the whole thing a couple of years ago, so maybe it's under warranty. I don't know. Cant remember who installed it.
    A
    New Orleans, Louisiana

14. Back To Top    #14

Good luck with getting it fixed. Post back when you get it up and running and let us know what it was and if that also fixed your spa draining problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Having more problems then I thought getting electrical fixed. My electrician drew a dead end calling the manufacturer and distributors. Not sure the problem. I have an aqualink control panel that originally came with a large remote control. I later upgraded it with some Jandy product. I can look up the info when I get back home, but my electrician thought I might have problems getting the parts. Someone at a distributor said there were a lot of problems and lawsuits with my system and it's not made anymore. Not sure if they meant the original or the upgraded product.
    New Orleans, Louisiana

16. Back To Top    #16

Post the parts and maybe someone here will have an idea what to do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Should I pour shock in for now and stir it around? I'll post parts when I get home. So I came home and looked for the owner's manuals. The original system installed in 2004 was a Polaris Sol 1000. A few years later, the board burned out or something. Anyway, I bought a conversion kit. The manual says a""Polaris SOL/EOS Aqualink RS installation Kit". It is a pool/spa combination. This was installed a fewyears ago. It is now completely dead.My electrician checked everything out. It's not the electrical. He found the 9 volt battery inside the panel was dead and changed that. Nothing. He checked the fuses, they all seem good. Any suggestions/feedback on this system?
    Also, what should I add to the pool until I get the pump working? Shock? I have a salt system.

PS: I inadvertently put AG in my signature when it should have been IG. Sorry about that.
    New Orleans, Louisiana