Switch to cartridge filter?

May 25, 2013
I have a 18' round above ground pool 52" wall. Currently it has a sand filter. My friend has offered me a cartridge filter with pump. Should I take it? I'm not attached to the sand filter and we constantly have pollen issues in the pool. I have read that cartridge filter can save money on electricity. In the summer months (we live in northeast) our bill goes up $300 between pool and window a/c units. The cartridge filter is Hayward c550 and 2 years old. He stored it inside during winter and replaced cartridge every year. Do I replace them every year or just as needed? Also I use a salt generator, can I use it with this filter?

Welcome to TFP!

Both filters are fine to use. The significant difference between them is water usage. Sand filters require backwashing, which dumps water. Cartridge filters don't require backwashing, but they do require hosing off the filter, which is a mildly annoying task. Sand vs cartridge will not make any difference in electrical costs and both are fine with salt. It is very unusual to replace cartridges every year. They should last at least a couple of years, and are not normally replaced unless they fail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.