Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switch to cartridge filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Switch to cartridge filter?

I have a 18' round above ground pool 52" wall. Currently it has a sand filter. My friend has offered me a cartridge filter with pump. Should I take it? I'm not attached to the sand filter and we constantly have pollen issues in the pool. I have read that cartridge filter can save money on electricity. In the summer months (we live in northeast) our bill goes up $300 between pool and window a/c units. The cartridge filter is Hayward c550 and 2 years old. He stored it inside during winter and replaced cartridge every year. Do I replace them every year or just as needed? Also I use a salt generator, can I use it with this filter?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Switch to cartridge filter?

Welcome to TFP!

Both filters are fine to use. The significant difference between them is water usage. Sand filters require backwashing, which dumps water. Cartridge filters don't require backwashing, but they do require hosing off the filter, which is a mildly annoying task. Sand vs cartridge will not make any difference in electrical costs and both are fine with salt. It is very unusual to replace cartridges every year. They should last at least a couple of years, and are not normally replaced unless they fail.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Howell, NJ

I have a cartridge filter and would never have anything else.I don't have any experience with sand, nor do want to. I have well water with a high iron content, so the limited water use is another plus.
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Grand Rapids, Michigan

I'll 2+ JohnN. Love my cart filter.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir