Hello Everyone: New Pool owner here. NEED GUIDANCE

May 24, 2013
Went through all the trials and tribulations of leveling the ground for a 14' by 48'' intex including an assemble/dissemble fill/drain to correct a 6'' lean! :oops:

The good news is I got it level and have been having fun. I live in Bryan Texas and I am told the water is hard and has metals in it. I swam the first day with no chemicals and then added (2) 3'' pucks to a floater.

I took my levels today and the PH is way high 8.4+, Alkalinity is well over 1800 (I actually couldn't get the solution to turn red after 18 drops of titrant.)

Chlorine is not registering.

At this point all I have done is added PH Minus (8 ozs) as the pool is about 4600 gallons. Any suggestions to right this ship?

I am open to BBB but intend to work the 4 steps with hth products.

Start by adding 2 ppm of chlorine each evening until 24 hours after adding CYA. At that point switch to aiming for an appropriate FC level based on your CYA level.

Getting the PH down to something more reasonable is important. It is simplest and least expensive to use muriatic acid, though it is a little trickier to handle than dry acid (muriatic fumes).

18 drops of titrant in the TA test means TA is over 180. That is still high, but not ridiculous (like 1800 would be).

A fresh fill never starts with any CYA, so you will want to add something. I suggest aiming for 40, and then waiting a week, test again, and adjust to 50 from where ever it ends up. It is easy to raise CYA, but annoying to lower it, so don't go for 50 right off.

Welcome.

1. Do you have a good test kit like TF 50 or TF 100?
2. Have you read pool school?

You can start adding CYA and shoot for a level of 40. Start adding chlorine for that level of CYA using CYA FC chart in pool school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.