Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello Everyone: New Pool owner here. NEED GUIDANCE

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello Everyone: New Pool owner here. NEED GUIDANCE

Went through all the trials and tribulations of leveling the ground for a 14' by 48'' intex including an assemble/dissemble fill/drain to correct a 6'' lean!

The good news is I got it level and have been having fun. I live in Bryan Texas and I am told the water is hard and has metals in it. I swam the first day with no chemicals and then added (2) 3'' pucks to a floater.

I took my levels today and the PH is way high 8.4+, Alkalinity is well over 1800 (I actually couldn't get the solution to turn red after 18 drops of titrant.)

Chlorine is not registering.

At this point all I have done is added PH Minus (8 ozs) as the pool is about 4600 gallons. Any suggestions to right this ship?

I am open to BBB but intend to work the 4 steps with hth products.
    Intex Ultra Frame 14' 48''/Intex .5hp Sand Filter 1600gph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello Everyone: New Pool owner here. NEED GUIDANCE

Start by adding 2 ppm of chlorine each evening until 24 hours after adding CYA. At that point switch to aiming for an appropriate FC level based on your CYA level.

Getting the PH down to something more reasonable is important. It is simplest and least expensive to use muriatic acid, though it is a little trickier to handle than dry acid (muriatic fumes).

18 drops of titrant in the TA test means TA is over 180. That is still high, but not ridiculous (like 1800 would be).

A fresh fill never starts with any CYA, so you will want to add something. I suggest aiming for 40, and then waiting a week, test again, and adjust to 50 from where ever it ends up. It is easy to raise CYA, but annoying to lower it, so don't go for 50 right off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the feedback Jason. Will follow-up with the CYA/clorine recommendations.

4. Back To Top    #4

]If I am understanding you correctly...You want me to add CYA...when should I start adding the chlorine? You say add 2ppm every 24 hours...should i do that when I add the CYA?

Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

You add chlorine every evening, as I already said.

Yes, add CYA, just not at the exact same instant that you are adding chlorine
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome.

1. Do you have a good test kit like TF 50 or TF 100?
    2. Have you read pool school?

You can start adding CYA and shoot for a level of 40. Start adding chlorine for that level of CYA using CYA FC chart in pool school.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.