Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test Ever

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test Ever

I am still waiting on my test kit. So I took the opportunity to have the good folks at the local pool store test my water for me. Just opened the pool yesterday and these are my water results. Just wondering what u guys think...

I have to admit..I did blindly throw 2 gallons of 8.5% bleach in the pool last night.

Results are as follows:

FAC = 1.3 - 1.5
    PH = 7.8
    TA = 90
    CYA = 0
    Calcium Hardness = 140
    Copper/Iron = 0
    Phosphates = 100

Anything look out of whack at the moment?

Thanks!!

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test Ever

The only thing that needs adjusting right at the moment is the CYA level. You want CYA at least 30, ideally closer to 50. CYA being at zero after a fresh fill is normal. Everything else is fine for now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hiw much conditioner would I need to add given where my CYA is?? Is this the "sock" chemical??

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How many gallons of water do you have? You need to know that to know how much cya to add to get to 40 to 50 ppm.

Yes that is the sock chemical. You put it in a sock to dissolve.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

23,000 gallon in ground pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    Hiw much conditioner would I need to add given where my CYA is?? Is this the "sock" chemical??

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk
    Yes, it is.

Since the testers can't read below 20 and pool stores are notoriously bad with this test, assume you have 20 for now. Target 40 in the pool calculator. Be sure to enter your pool's size. Remember, 20 now, 40 target.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

For some reason I can't use the pool calculator on my tab. We just moved into a new house last week and I don't have a computer as of yet Can someone do the calculation for me? 23,000 gallon pool.

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm coming up with 7lbs 11 oz to get to 40 ppm CYA. That's if your CYA is 0 now.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Since it is a fresh fill, you can assume CYA=0 if you did not add any dichlor or trichlor.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

10. Back To Top    #10

Its not a fresh fill. Its an existing pool. We just bought the house. 7 pounds in a sock????

Help!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh, then add CYA like it is already at 20. Jason's post threw me, because he mentioned a fresh fill.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

12. Back To Top    #12

If your cya level is at 20 then you need 3lbs 13 oz of cya to get to 40. I thought I saw your CYA was at 0.

No you can't put all 7lbs in a sock. You have to split it up.

Jeff

13. Back To Top    #13

If you have a pool noodle, or even an inflatable tube, here's one idea:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!