Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: auto chlorinator vrs floatie

1. Back To Top    #1

auto chlorinator vrs floatie

I moved into my house a few months ago and this is the first time I have owned a pool. I have a service to maintain the pool until I can do it on my own.

I have a rainbow lifeguard 320 auto chlorinator but my service does not use it. Instead they use a floatie with the tablets in there. My question is which is better?

Some info on my pool, 28ft by 15ft with max 5ft deep free form concrete in ground pool with an elevated spa and waterfall. I have there intelliflo vers pump. I live in las Vegas.
    14.7k IG free form pebble with elevated spa and waterfall, 3HP intelliflo vrs 3hp , Hayward super 2 pump?, Hayward swimclear cartridge filter c4025, rainbow lifeguard 320 & floatie, pentair master temp 400 heater, Hayward pool vac ultra

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: auto chlorinator vrs floatie

Quote Originally Posted by bulsworth
    I have a rainbow lifeguard 320 auto chlorinator but my service does not use it. Instead they use a floatie with the tablets in there. My question is which is better?
    Neither really since both use trichlor. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

What do you recommend then?
    14.7k IG free form pebble with elevated spa and waterfall, 3HP intelliflo vrs 3hp , Hayward super 2 pump?, Hayward swimclear cartridge filter c4025, rainbow lifeguard 320 & floatie, pentair master temp 400 heater, Hayward pool vac ultra

4. Back To Top    #4

What do you recommend then?
    I am glad you asked I would switch to bleach/liquid chlorine. Pool school (link near upper right corner of each page) has a ton of info. Here is an article to start with: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Plain liquid bleach or liquid chlorine. Both are the same active ingredient (sodium hypochlorite). Liquid chlorine just has a higher concentration. These products do not add anything undesirable to the pool, unlike the pucks. Liquid bleach/chlorine is manually dosed by pouring it in a thin stream in front of a pool return .
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

[center:819q66gz][/center:819q66gz]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah i am reading through pool school so I can do this on my own soon.

Now have to figure out how to put in the pool return

8. Back To Top    #8

So you guys recommend liquid chlorine into the pool return? Can I buy liquid chlorine at any store or online?

9. Back To Top    #9

So you guys recommend liquid chlorine into the pool return? Can I buy liquid chlorine at any store or online?
    Costco, Walmart, Target, grocery store. Or Lowes or Home Depot in the pool section they'll have 10 or 12% stuff. The freight to ship gallons of bleach would kill you!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks. Now back to figuring out how to get it into my pool return.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Bulsworth, all you have to do is to pour the liquid chlorine into the pool while standing above the return, while the pool pump is running.
    28K, 20' x 40' IG - Vinyl Liner, Hayward DE Filter, 1.5HP Pump, 250K Hayward BTU Heater, Aquabot Breeze 4WD robotic cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

An off topic side conversation on sinking/floating trichlor tablet dispensers has been moved to here.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Siamese

Hi Bulsworth, all you have to do is to pour the liquid chlorine into the pool while standing above the return, while the pool pump is running.
    Is the return the skimmer? How much do I pour in, assuming i can use the pool calculator and my test results to determine this?

14. Back To Top    #14

No. The return is the jet of water shooting back into the pool.

With accurate test results, then use poolcalculator to determine how much bleach you should add to achieve the desired FC level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

I have 3 jets that shoot into the pool. Does it matter which ones?

16. Back To Top    #16

The strongest or the one in the deep end would be my choice. This just asked the chemicals to mix in well before coming in contact with the pool surface.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks