Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I know my Hayward Super 2 pump is gone?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I know my Hayward Super 2 pump is gone?

I switch on pump and breaker trips. I hear power go to pump and it starts for a half second or so. Pump is ten years old. Timer clock working fine. We received about 2 inches of rain here in NH over the last 48hrs. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I know my Hayward Super 2 pump is gone?

That sounds like either the bearings are seized or the start capacitor is bad both of which can be repaired if you are up to it. If you spin impeller and you feel some resistance, it is probably the bearings.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

You nailed it! I just took the end cap off and saw an exploded start capacitor. I will replace the capacitor, do you know roughly how much they cost? Also, where do I spin the impeller blades to make sure it isnt the bearings? Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.

4. Back To Top    #4

Capacitor should be less than $50.

You may be able to spin the impeller through the pump basket at the impeller inlet. If not, the impeller shaft should be accessible from the end cap side.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Problem fixed! Must have been the 3" of rain over the last day or so. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the best 2hp to buy? Somebody told me today that all pool pumps are made by two companies, a o smith
    And century.
    I'm thinking that with my current ten yr old pump, I maybe due soon. Thx

7. Back To Top    #7

AO Smith and Century are the same company and they make motors, not pumps. But it is a good choice if you are planning to just replace the motor. Just make sure you match up the motor correctly. The service factor times the label HP of the new motor needs to be at least the same size as the old motor. You can usually find a cross reference on motor supply sites as well. You will need a new seal kit as well.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, Mark. Any pump motors that you suggest? Sta Rite, Pentair, Hayward? I was thinking of just going with what I have which is a Hayward Super 2 , 2hp.

Also, would alot of rain and moisture cause a start capacitor to explode. Ever since I replaced it earlier this afternoon, it has been running fine.

Tom

9. Back To Top    #9

You can just replace the motor as I mentioned before instead of replacing the entire pump. But is there a reason you have such a large pump? Spa, waterfall, other features?

If not, then you might consider downsizing. Also, if you fill out your signature, it can help when asking questions. Location is useful too sometimes.
    Mark