Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shock a pool start-up-when open it is clear and fc 2?

1. Back To Top    #1

shock a pool start-up-when open it is clear and fc 2?

Hello All Again!

We opened our pool with our well. We do have a filter system on our water, does add salt though to it. Anyway, to our wonderful surprise, except for a dozen leaves or so, our water looked like the day we closed it. It had a FC level of around 2. Have kept it at 1-3, need to put bleach in, today at FC1 Thanks fellow BBBers!

Does everyone shock, just in case for bacteria or algae when they open? I have maintained the FC since we opened. Pump has been running 24/7 for the last few days, and we have been vacuuming and keeping leaves and stuff out. Wondering if we should take it to 10ppm anyhow?

Currently FC1 and PH7.8
    "VegMaPa" in the Midwest - a "NEWBIE"-opened pool July 2012
    AG Silverstone 24' Round x 52" -13,500GAL VINYL -ABOVE GROUND
    ClearWater Cartridge Filter CW65XL100SDBH (or is it W90, W120?) -Vortex XL150S 1.5HP Pump
    Hayward LP Gas Heater H150 .....LOVE TFP, crystal clear pool going on our 4th year!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: shock a pool start-up-when open it is clear and fc 2?

Quote Originally Posted by VegMaPa
    Does everyone shock, just in case for bacteria or algae when they open?
    I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by VegMaPa
    Wondering if we should take it to 10ppm anyhow?
    If you are concerned, you could take it up to your FC shock level and do the OCLT, but if you water looks good and if you do not have CC or excessive chlorine usage, then I personally wouldn't. It won't hurt anything though.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: shock a pool start-up-when open it is clear and fc 2?

VegMaPa:

Congrats on a clean pool opening

I'm with linen in that I wouldn't shock unless my test results dictated the need. I would, however, run a full series of test results and do an OCLT just to be on the safe side. You will need to know your CYA in order to properly dose with chlorine whether you decide to shock or not.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.