low filter pressure for DE4800 Filter

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, so i'm having filter woahs....
after taking apart the grids in my filter, i found several tears. one large and a few small ones. I replaced one grid with a brand new one and the others, i patched by sewing wiith dental floss and using waterweld.

after turning on my filter for the first time (this season) and immediately adding 4 cans of DE, the filter pressure is only at 13. two years ago, 20 was the normal pressure and i backwashed at 25. then last year, it dropped to around 15 and i backwashed at 20, but it worked so i didn't worry about it too much. this year, i thought after cleaning and fixing the filters, it would go back to 20 at least, but it's at 13 now. what could be the issues? should i be concerned that pressure is too low?

thanks so much!

Thanks for the responses..
I'm seeing a little DE in the pool, but that could be residual from last year - i won't know for certain for a day or so, i think. Would that explain the drop in pressure?

Regarding the pressure gauge. how do I know if it's reading correctly? i didn't remove it this year, but i noticed one drop of water escaping the little taper end, so maybe it is losing a little pressure?

I don't want to take apart the filter until the pool is clear. is that OK? is it less effective at a lower pressure? I think the pool will be clear in 2 more days so if i can keep it together until then, i'd rather take it apart then.

I suspect that the gauge is bad. You can change it at anytime. They're cheap enough to just change out if there's any doubt.

I'd just keep running it. If it's not blowing debris into the pool, just let it run.

Thanks Dave -
I think there must be other issues with my grids because i'm still getting DE in the pool (along with dead algae). I went ahead and ordered Gridsocks to cover the grids - so hopefully that'll fix my issue - and i'll go ahead and change the gauge too. Is that something i can get at home depot or do i need to get one from the pool store? I have a hayward DE4800
thanks again
Patty

Bama Rambler said:
I suspect that the gauge is bad. You can change it at anytime. They're cheap enough to just change out if there's any doubt.

I'd just keep running it. If it's not blowing debris into the pool, just let it run.

Either holes in the grids or a grid not seated on the manifold are the common reasons for it to leak DE into the pool.

You can get a gauge at the local home improvement store. A zero to 30 psi will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.