Remove Magic Lube from chlorinator

Zadd

In The Industry
May 22, 2013
Deep East Texas
I put too much silicon lubricant on my chlorination cap o-ring and it got it on the cap threads. The threads are very difficult to remove with this lubricant stuff on them. I've tried scrubbing and paper towels to remove it but this is very difficult getting it all out of the threads. My question is; does anyone know of a solvent for silicon lube?

Unfortunately there's not much that will cut it. Dry cleaning fluid is about the only thing I know of.

Having said that, the lube shouldn't be causing any problems with the operation of the lid. What is the issue specifically?

The lid still locks down and prevents leaks but my staff can't get it to unscrew without using tools. I've look over the other chlorinators we have and the only difference is that this one has the lubricant smeared on the threads.

I think it is a combination of the lubricant and the build up of pressure inside the chlorinator that makes it so difficult to get the cap to remove. I could probably spend an evening with pipe cleaners and other implements of cleaning to finally get it but wanted an easier solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.