Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remove Magic Lube from chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Remove Magic Lube from chlorinator

I put too much silicon lubricant on my chlorination cap o-ring and it got it on the cap threads. The threads are very difficult to remove with this lubricant stuff on them. I've tried scrubbing and paper towels to remove it but this is very difficult getting it all out of the threads. My question is; does anyone know of a solvent for silicon lube?
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remove Magic Lube from chlorinator

Unfortunately there's not much that will cut it. Dry cleaning fluid is about the only thing I know of.

Having said that, the lube shouldn't be causing any problems with the operation of the lid. What is the issue specifically?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The lid still locks down and prevents leaks but my staff can't get it to unscrew without using tools. I've look over the other chlorinators we have and the only difference is that this one has the lubricant smeared on the threads.
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd bet it's not the lube, however it could be debris or sand sticking to the threads causing it to be hard to remove.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I use Jacks on my Hayward Chlorinator cap and it does make it a bit difficult to get the cap off. Not sure if it is because of the tolerance or what, but it is a pain in the butt.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I think it is a combination of the lubricant and the build up of pressure inside the chlorinator that makes it so difficult to get the cap to remove. I could probably spend an evening with pipe cleaners and other implements of cleaning to finally get it but wanted an easier solution.