Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pentair pump

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pentair pump

I just installed my new pump today and my pressure is running steady at 10 PSI with a clean filter, does this sound about right? The new pump is 3/4 HP pentair superflo single speed with 1 1/2" plumbing. The old pump was Sta-rite 3/4 hp and ran at about 14 PSI with clean filter. Everything seems normal as far as suction and pressure at the returns just didn't expect to see the lower PSI.

Thanks in advance.
    16x32 19,000 gallons vinyl liner IG with vermiculite base, 2 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 floor drain, Hayward s-200 sand filter with Pentair superflo 3/4 HP single speed pump , liquid chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pentair pump

Yes, that sounds normal for the pump and plumbing. Your current pump is much smaller than your old pump so the pressure is going to be less.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info. Why do you say the new pump is much smaller? I figured it would be pretty even since they are both 3/4 hp. Is the new pump sufficient for my setup?

Thank you again.
    16x32 19,000 gallons vinyl liner IG with vermiculite base, 2 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 floor drain, Hayward s-200 sand filter with Pentair superflo 3/4 HP single speed pump , liquid chlorine.

4. Back To Top    #4

The Superflo pump is an up rated pump and it is also smaller than most other IG 3/4 HP up rated pump. The Sta-Rite pumps tend to be larger (i.e. higher head curve) pumps. But that is usually good thing when it comes to energy use.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater