Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need confirmation of next steps :)

1. Back To Top    #1

need confirmation of next steps :)

inground gunite pool.. this is my 3rd year opening and of course, it's a smelly green swamp

my test results
    FC 0
    pH > 8.2
    TA 80
    CH 190
    CYA close to 0

next steps:
    - bring pH down to 7.8 with muriatic acid
    - add bleach to bring FC to 10
    - bring CH up - what should by goal be again for a gunite pool?
    - add CYA to bring to 40
    - remove leaves and scrub

sound about right?

Thank so much
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need confirmation of next steps :)

Close.....

-bring CYA up to 30
    -bring PH down to 7.2/7.5 (will be effected by adding CYA)
    -shock to FC of 15
    -raise CH to around 250

You can raise your CH anywhere on the process, just don't add right with any other chemicals. The others I'd do in that order. If you shock with a 0CYA level all your FC will be eaten by the sun almost right away. Raising the level up some will help keep the chlorine in the pool fighting the algae.

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks leebo -
    it's a cold gloomy cloudy weekend here in massachusetts, so i was hoping lack of CYA would be OK until tomorrow.
    i've added bleach and some left over dry acid from last summer.. so i'll test in a few to see what the levels are at.

thanks for the feedback.

hate opening to a swamp - but love troublefree pool folks!
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

4. Back To Top    #4

You'll just lose some extra FC to the sun, however if its hidden by clouds you may not be in bad shape. Shock at night as often as you can, as then the only thing consuming the chlorine is the green crud.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    You'll just lose some extra FC to the sun, however if its hidden by clouds you may not be in bad shape. Shock at night as often as you can, as then the only thing consuming the chlorine is the green crud.
    will do, thanks leebo... opening a pool in the rain is no fun.. but at least there's no sun to eat my chlorine and no mosquitos eating me

btw, i also posted an issue about my de filter - i see you have a DE filter too.. if you have a chance, maybe you can chime in too?
    low-filter-pressure-for-de4800-filter-t60624.html

thanks again!

6. Back To Top    #6

I wish I could.....but when it comes to troubleshooting issues with the equipment, I'm lost.

Good luck!