How many tablets to put in feeder?

G

Hi, all,

This is my first post and I made an effort to read some articles within the Pool School. However, I might have missed something which is why I am posting here. :wink:

(Using a HTH 6-way test kit):
TC - 0.0
FC - Unknown
CC - Unknown
pH - 7.5
TA - 200 PPM
CH - 220 PPM
CYA - < 30 PPM (filled tube all the way and could still see black dot)

I'm in the process of establishing the FC in my pool but I'm having some trouble. I'm supplying chlorine via a feeder filled with 1" chlorine tablets. At first, I filled the feeder with six 1" tablets. I measured the FC the next day and it registered less than .5 PPM. So, I doubled the amount of tablets to 13 the next day. I then measured the FC the next morning and there is still no FC registering. I have checked and the tablets are in fact dissolving and the 13 tablets that are in there are about have the size they originally were.

Now, am I doing something wrong or should I just keep putting more tablets in the feeder?

Welcome to TFP. I would stop using the tabs and start using bleach. The tabs add things like cya and acid.

Read pool school some more to understand what BBB is about and think about getting a good test kit like the tf100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

You find out the range you need to keep FC at in Pool School. It's under Chlorine/CYA Chart. Then you find out how much to dose by testing with a good test kit (TF-100 or K-2006) and then entering the numbers into poolcalculator.com to find out how much bleach to dose.

If your tab feeder is like mine, there should be a knob at the bottom of the feeder to adjust the amount of chlorine that is dispensed. The number of pucks in the feeder shouldn't matter as much as the setting of the flow adjustment knob.

Vette said:
You find out the range you need to keep FC at in Pool School. It's under Chlorine/CYA Chart. Then you find out how much to dose by testing with a good test kit (TF-100 or K-2006) and then entering the numbers into poolcalculator.com to find out how much bleach to dose.

Thanks Vette for pointing me in the right direction.

dtlight said:
If your tab feeder is like mine, there should be a knob at the bottom of the feeder to adjust the amount of chlorine that is dispensed. The number of pucks in the feeder shouldn't matter as much as the setting of the flow adjustment knob.

Yeah, I checked the feeder and it's all the way open. I must not have enough tablets in the feeder?

Chlorine is getting into your water. But then it is getting used up by something. With low CYA it would be sunlight. If you had CC's, it would be organics. Could be a combination of both. I highly recommend getting a quality test kit. Takes all the guessing out. pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

If you have a test kit like that, there should be a CC test. I would think that any kit that does CYA would also do the simple CC test. Look over the directions carefully to see if there is a CC test.

Vette said:
Chlorine is getting into your water. But then it is getting used up by something. With low CYA it would be sunlight. If you had CC's, it would be organics. Could be a combination of both. I highly recommend getting a quality test kit. Takes all the guessing out. pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

If you have a test kit like that, there should be a CC test. I would think that any kit that does CYA would also do the simple CC test. Look over the directions carefully to see if there is a CC test.

Unfortunately, I have the HTH 6-way test kit that doesn't include a way to test for FC or CC.

However, I just ordered a TF-50 test kit since I already have the HTH 6-way test kit. For now, I'm going to shock my pool using the amount of bleach suggested by the pool calculator. This will hopefully keep any algae blooms at bay until I can test for FC and CC.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.