Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do with an old pump and motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do with an old pump and motor?

I'm getting ready to pull my Whisperflo 2.0 that has been faithful for 17 years! It's still running, although it is leaking a bit and noisy compared to todays pumps.
    My question is what to do with it now? Obviously it can be dumped, but are there other uses for it that I can't think of?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do with an old pump and motor?

If it is still working, you could fix the leak and keep it as an emergency backup. Is you plumbing still compatible?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Where is it leaking? Sounds like new bearings, new shaft seal, and a couple o rings and you've got a backup pump.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah still running. It's leaking between the motor and pump, so most likely bearings and seal as you mention. I'm replacing it with a Intelliflo VF so from what I'm reading it will still be compatible with the existing pvc.

Not sure if 17 years running without any issues is normal, but I certainly hope the new pump runs that long. In that case, I wouldn't want to rebuild and keep it just in case.
    I have the tools and ability to rebuild it, but it's really an energy hog compared to whats on the market now.