Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 New Posts a Day - How do you keep up? (Mods?)

1. Back To Top    #1

300 New Posts a Day - How do you keep up? (Mods?)

With approximately 300 new posts a day to this forum, how do you keep up with them? How do you moderators do it? To properly address the plethora of questions each day could constitute a part time job! Right now I'm logging in and using the "posts since last visit" feature, but I never know how far down I need to scroll to get to the entries I haven't read on any particular topic (or even which page of a topic to start on). Is there another way? Would an RSS feed just send the new entry on each thread out? I was gone over memorial day and when I got back I had 1400 new posts. That's a lot of reading! I almost wish I could get a digest feed of specific subject topics - maybe everything in the "Deep End" for example. What about the ability to get a list of new posts in a specific topic since last login instead of the whole site? Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Stop spending time with your family and quit your job... JK
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

3. Back To Top    #3
    can we say "eye strain"??

as far as how to determine what entries are new, I also click "posts since last visit" from the home page. However, if you click on the last column, it takes you to the last post. Then I go up from there. It still takes a bit of time to find where I left off....

Maybe this issue will be addressed in the BUU...

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

TomU...I have asked myself that same question and all I can say is thanks to all the people here at TFP administrators, mods and all the people that have given the answers to help others with the respect that they deserve. Keep up the great work everybody I still enjoy every minute I read at TFP.
    thanks to all
    Ric W.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

5. Back To Top    #5
    More and more, we rely on members like yourself to help pass on what you have learned to other new members - it's the whole circle of life thing - queue the Lion King theme song.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6
    I usually read every post, at least briefly, but the current volume makes that tough.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7
    Yesterday was a particularly busy day, I thought. Because I had given myself the day off - easy to to when you're your own boss! - I spent a lot of time on the forum and have gained a huge appreciation and respect for the mods and regulars who seem to always share their knowledge. You folks work very hard!

I used to read 'new posts since last visit' and still do but I've also begun to scan 'unanswered posts' and try to jump in when I might have something worthwhile to say. On a busy forum like this one it's easy for a post to get lost or overlooked, especially if the subject line is vague.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    can we say "eye strain"?? ...
    "Eye strain"? Here are my eyeballs after yesterday:
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9
    I spent so much time answering questions the last two weeks I actually forgot to swim
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10
    I always sit down and tell myself "OK, one hour for TFP, then on to other things", and inevitably I run over every time. It's cutting seriously into my Diablo: LOD time, too!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: 300 New Posts a Day - How do you keep up? (Mods?)

Quote Originally Posted by TomU
    but I never know how far down I need to scroll to get to the entries I haven't read on any particular topic (or even which page of a topic to start on). Is there another way?
    When you click on 'view new posts' and the 300+ list comes up, you can click on the little white square in the 'Topics' to view the newest post to that particular thread. Here is the process i use when reading forums (I'm a Mod at TY4Stroke.com)

1: view new posts since last visit
    2: scroll through list looking for topics of interest.
    3: Right click on the corresponding white square and select 'open in new tab' or 'open in new window' if I'm on a computer with an older version of IE.
    4: I can open upwards of 20 tabs before I actually start reading, and close the tab as I'm done.

This method has a couple positives, the biggest being a reduced server load from searching(using the back button). Your search result page is always there in the first tab or window. You maximize your read time instead of using the back button and trying to remember where on the list you left off at.

Hope this helps some of you.
    Esther Williams 24', sunk about 36" into the ground.
    Jacuzzi Maxiplus 190 sand
    Sta-rite/aquatools 2 speed 1HP (JWP series)

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: 300 New Posts a Day - How do you keep up? (Mods?)

Quote Originally Posted by crewchief47
    click on the corresponding white square...
    Thanks! I've been using this site for over a year and had no idea that the white square was a different link than the topic itself. That definitely speeds things up!

13. Back To Top    #13

Sean, with the pending upgrades is there any chance of a better in forum search engine? I have spent hours searching for items that I know are here but are just buried under 100's of search returns. I get a better search return with Google but I wonder if a nice search engine might aid in slight reduction of posts by allowing users to search first. Also, what about adding more to the "stickies" on the common questions? I think that is underway but I can be mistaken.

As always, thanks for the forum!!!
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

14. Back To Top    #14
    I love these questions! Among the improvements to the software is improved search capabilities. Among the extra upgrades we are also integrating a google site search into the site. And yes, the stickies page is being almost totally redone. The new articles page will be called "Pool School." It will include many of the same topics "stickies", in an even easier to follow format and in a much more logical order as well as new articles that will useful to most any pool owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabot
    Sean, with the pending upgrades is there any chance of a better in forum search engine? I have spent hours searching for items that I know are here but are just buried under 100's of search returns. I get a better search return with Google but I wonder if a nice search engine might aid in slight reduction of posts by allowing users to search first. Also, what about adding more to the "stickies" on the common questions? I think that is underway but I can be mistaken.

As always, thanks for the forum!!!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

15. Back To Top    #15

Awesome!

Then a simple "Please see Pool School" reply may work for the simple issues.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

16. Back To Top    #16
    Here is a problem I have when searching. If I'm looking for info on the easy touch automation system if someone has it as a list in their criteria for their pool it comes up in my search so I could get 1000 searches but no info eeekk. Will the new search engine help with that or is there something different I should do when searching?
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

17. Back To Top    #17
    Aside from the addition of the google search, the new software will include:

Search inside topics
    Select multiple forums and categories to search
    Search within topic titles only
    Search within first post of a topic only

This should make it much easier for you to find what you are looking for.

Please understand that there is bound to be a learning curve for all of us, but once we become accustomed to the new software, the benefits should outweigh the initial learning curve.
    TFP Founder

18. Back To Top    #18
    HELP!!!! I'm drowning in posts!!!!!!!!

My parents are here for a visit, so I'm otherwise occupied for a couple of days, and 733 posts since last visit

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up guys!!!!!!!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

19. Back To Top    #19

I might have missed this and it might already be a feature but what about 'subscribe to thread' option?
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

20. Back To Top    #20
    Already have the feature at the bottom listed as "watch this thread".
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast