Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Natural Gas Heating Time & Cost Calculator Spreadsheet

1. Back To Top    #1

Natural Gas Heating Time & Cost Calculator Spreadsheet

There have been several recent posts inquiring how long it would take or how much it would cost to heat a pool / spa using a natural gas heater. In response, I have taken on the challenge of putting together this spreadsheet to help answer those questions. Itís now ready to be test driven.

The spreadsheet has two sections:
    • 1. A Scratch Pad where you can estimate the hours needed to run the heater to achieve a desired temperature rise for a given water volume. There is a Multiplier Factor to account for variabilities in heating water that is subject to the elements. This is explained further in the spreadsheet.
      2. A Cost Estimator where you can select the billing unit from a drop-down list, cost per billing unit, heater BTU, and number of hours the heater is run. For the number of hours, you can use either the hours calculated in the Scratch Pad or enter your own figure. The spreadsheet calculates cost by taking the cost per billing unit and dividing it by the number of BTUs in that billing unit to arrive at a cost per BTU. It then takes the cost per BTU and multiplies that by the Gross BTU output of the heater to get the cost per hour to run the heater. The cost per hour is then multiplied by the number of hours the heater is run to arrive at the Total cost to run the heater for X hours.

A couple of other notes:
    • 1. Spreadsheet was created using Excel 2010 & 2013 (*.xlsx format). I was unable to upload an *.xlsx file format. So, I saved it to the Excel 97-2003 format (*.xls). As a result, it's possible that some of the fonts/colors may not display properly.
      2. Spreadsheet is set up to use with Natural Gas heaters only. It estimates the variable usage-based cost that appears on your bill. Fixed costs that appear on your bill are not factored into cost calculations since, by definition, a fixed cost is static and would appear on your bill as the same amount each month regardless of consumption.

Post to this thread if you have any suggestions or comments on this spreadsheet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Natural Gas Heating Time & Cost Calculator Spreadsheet

This is amazing. Thank you for creating this cost tool!

16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

3. Back To Top    #3

do you have an example you can share? i'm trying to justify buying a new solar heater or repairing a very old gas heater.
    http://www.amazon.com/20-Foot-Solar-Hea ... _lg_text_y
    15000 Gal Concrete IG Pool
    Hayward Max-flo XL 1HP 2 Speed Pump
    Star-Rite Posi Flow II Catridge Filter
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner
    Hayward, CA

4. Back To Top    #4

supercanadian: You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words.

caycarem: I do not have any experience with solar heaters for pool use. However several members on the forum do. Here are some posts you may want to look at: "solar+heating". From this list, you might want to start off looking at this post as it seems particularly germane to your interest : Data for comparing solar pool heating performance
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you, BoDarville. I'll check out the links.
    15000 Gal Concrete IG Pool
    Hayward Max-flo XL 1HP 2 Speed Pump
    Star-Rite Posi Flow II Catridge Filter
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner
    Hayward, CA

6. Back To Top    #6

This is an awesome tool. I am thankful for your effort. I searched and searched and finally found an awesome website/forum with great resources. I am sure I will have tonnes of questions about my new pool and hottub. I'll let you know how accurate it is...My 400k BTU heater needs to raise the temp 23 degrees.
    31500K gal, IG vinyl, Intellipro VS Pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, 400 BTU Sta-Rite, Prowler 830 Robot, Sunken Spa same hardware.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow, what a great tool, thanks so much for the effort. Now if only we had the same tool for a heat pump based on kWh...!
    24,000 gallon vinyl, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 inch pipe suction, 1.5 inch return. Pentair VS pump, Pentair IC-40 SWG, Pentair SD-80 filter. TF-100.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well I'm very late to this, but I will certainly be checking this out for sure. Thanks for the work on this Bo!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

looks great and right
    32x15 IG Borate+Salt, Pentair VS+SVRS, howard swim pure 40 SWG, Pentair 4000 48sqft DE, Mastertemp 300, Electric Pool Cover, Polaris P93, 4 Kids for Aeration, ;)

10. Back To Top    #10

By way of comparison, I just used this to figure out how much to raise my 36k ga. pool by just 5 degrees using Propane (don't have NG available to us here, out in the country). Assuming a 400k BTU heater, would need to run for 7 hours. Cost would *only* be about $65 per run!!! Propane cost uses was $2.28/Therm. Looks like I won't be in the market for a heater any time soon, even though the pool used to have one.
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub

11. Back To Top    #11

Finally looked this over, and this is really nice Bo. Thanks for putting it together and sharing it with us. Seems a bit cheaper to run than I thought.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

You're welcome and glad several of you are finding this tool useful. Plan on making a few more spreadsheet tools, so stay tuned...