Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No water from return lines after cleaning filter

1. Back To Top    #1

No water from return lines after cleaning filter

So after cleaning out my extremely dirty DE filter and getting everything back together I turned the pump on and water was shooting out huge bubbles in return lines. Just to make sure everything was closed and tight I turned the pump off to check and when I turned it back on nothing. The pump is on and running sounding normal..multi port valve is set to filter, but there is no water coming out of the return lines anymore...any thoughts? I tried backwash and rinse to see if anything happened and other than a very small amount of water at first nothing came out.
    21K gal, IG vinyl, 1HP WhisperFlo pump, 36 SQ. ft. Nautilus DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No water from return lines after cleaning filter

It sounds like the pump may have lost prime. Try re-priming the pump and see if that improves things. To re-prime, open the pump stainer basket, fill it with water, close the basket, and turn on the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: No water from return lines after cleaning filter

Thank you so much!!! I had already primed it several times with no results, but after you post I tried again. It took maybe 5 times and finally worked!!
    21K gal, IG vinyl, 1HP WhisperFlo pump, 36 SQ. ft. Nautilus DE filter