Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter sprays like a geyser when set to filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter sprays like a geyser when set to filter

Hello, all! Long-time reader, first post. I've attached a pic of my problem.

I opened the pool last week and stupidly walked away after starting the pump. When I came back about 14 hours later, I was met by the sight of water jetting out from between the multi-port valve and the filter body.

All works fine on waste/rinse/backwash/circulate. But when set to filter, it immediately acts like a very expensive sprinkler system!

Any ides/tips/dire warnings before I start taking things apart and randomly looking for clues?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Joe

[attachment=0:3mefz1cx]photo.JPG[/attachment:3mefz1cx]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-ground vinyl || 16X36 || Pentair WhisperFLo 2 speed pump || Hayward top-mount sand filter
    3 returns, one skimmer, double drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter sprays like a geyser when set to filter

Have you pulled the top of the filter off lately? You may have pinched a gasket or o-ring. Pull the multi-port valve off and check the condition of the spider gasket, any o-rings or gaskets between the multiport and filter body and inspect the rim of the filter body as well. Check the rim for cracks. Make sure and gaskets and o-rings are seated correctly, are not worn, and that the screws tighten firmly.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Inspect that leaking connection to the multiport carefully. The source looks to me like it is coming from that connection.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I took it apart and the gaskets and o-ring looked fine, so I stuck a hose in the sand and rinsed it all out and then stirred it with a stick. Put it all back together, crossed my fingers and set it to filter.....and it worked. Ha! I win this round, Mr. Pool.

Thanks for the input, TFPers.

Joe
    In-ground vinyl || 16X36 || Pentair WhisperFLo 2 speed pump || Hayward top-mount sand filter
    3 returns, one skimmer, double drain