Adjust pH, TA or borates first?

smichael68

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hello,
Water on opening is slightly green, but unusually good for my pool at opening, thanks to BBB last year!

I am going to shock to clear up the algae, but my numbers are below. I would appreciate help deciding the next step in two areas:

1. I am not sure what order to address the pH/TA issues that I have. Obviously my pH and TA are low and need to come up and adjusting one will affect the other. Do I add the Pool Calculator's suggested soda ash (pH) or baking soda (TA) first? I love what borates did for my pool last year. Do I need to add Borax and would that affect the pH and TA, meaning that I should do that first?

2. Do the numbers suggest any other issues?

pH 6.8 (or lower)
TA 50
FC 4
CC 1
Borates 30
CYA 30

Thanks!

JohnN has the right idea! Here is a little background information to go with his suggestions. Definitely raise PH first. Keep in mind that the common PH test reports any number below 6.8 as 6.8, so your actual PH might be much lower than it appears.

Don't adjust TA until after you have corrected the PH and then measured TA again. The chances are that TA will be fine once the PH comes up.

Borates are always last, after everything else is completely under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.